Sunday, April 16, 2006

Requiem for a Dream//A Dream//Intuition//Boyfriend

A Letter from an Old Friend
Aw... My dear Lois friend sent us a mass email with a specific little message to each person. Hhahaha.. I love her. She's so perky and funny and insane in her own Lois way. I really need to start learning to keep up with the emailing. She's so sweet. And I was the first person she wrote to. Aw.

sam: HEY SAM! wow i havne't talked to you for soooooo long . MAN. that sucks! eh? hmmmmm so how is new york treating you? is it hot and fabulous? hehehehehe omg the weather is so weird here...it 's like this BEAUTIFUL day and then all of a sudden..IT SNOWS..and im' like wdh -_- hehheeh =) but it's all good. i like sunshine it makes me happy and i bet you get lots of sunshine so you should be super happy :) okay ! kepe up the good art skills ! yayyy i'll see you soon.

Wow I didn't know she moved to North York, close to Finch. Now I can go visit her. haha. North York= Koreans.


Auntie Jo mentioned today that for us, work and doing good are interconnected because we are designing and changing the world simultaneously. I feel like a superhero although I'm only a freshmen student.


Requiem

Last night Allie and I watched Requiem for a Dream until 4am (yes I had church. hahaha) and it's the most depressing movie. But the soundtrack is absolutely AMAZING. It's beautiful and moving: Lux Aeterna, Clint Mansell. Download it. I'm listening to it over and over :P The movie itself is amazing too.. It's an indie movie so of course it's good. It's about drug addicts basically and how their lives spin out of control. Rather than just merely showing them taking pills, they show a quick snapshot of a pill, a hand, the hand going into mouth, blood cells, then eyes dilating. It's awesome. Well anyway, it's about a guy and his girlfriend (Jennifer Connelly) and how they want to set up a shop for her so she could sell clothes that she designed. To get enough money to rent a shop, he and his other friend sell heroine. His mother gets contacted by a television agency to be on a show, and she feels that she needs to lose weight to fit into this old red dress that she wore to her son's graduation some 20/30 years ago. She wants to be on television because her son left her, and her husband has died. She wants to appear on the show to declare to everyone that she loves her son and her deceased husband. There was this one scene where she first takes out the red dress and attempts to zip it up. Realizing that it would not go all the way up, she looks at herself in the mirror forlornly, and starts to twirl and preen in front of the mirror, remembering the past. It was touching in some way words can't explain: this old woman, deserted by all and desperate to return to what was, turned to diet pills which a doctor prescribed to her without even doing a proper check up. These pills in fact, had speed in them and she went insane at the end and started hallucinating. She wore the red dress and began to see the tv people laughing at her and the fridge bursting out of the kitchen... she went on the subway to ask why the tv company still had not called her to be on television... and if you are a new yorker, you know that there are a ton of crazy people on the subways always muttering to themselves... and for the first time, you see how the woman has been driven into lunacy. They end up trying to feed her and giving her electrolysis but send her to a mental asylum where she ends up as a vegetable. In the meanwhile, the guy's friend gets caught with heroine and so they have to use that money they saved to bail him out. However they need money to buy themselves drugs since the girlfriend is addicted to heroine.. so she sells herself to a guy and her boyfriend drives to Florida to find a dealer since there are none in New York. Well his vein, where he injects heroine, gets infected and he ends up in hospital, where the doctor finds that he is taking this illegal drug, and gets his friend arrested where he now stays and works. The infection in the boy's arm is so bad that they amputate it. The girlfriend by now, is going hysterical without the heroine, so she calls the same client and goes to a party where she is basically humiliated and dehumanized. The last scene is really sad, where you see her curled up, clutching her heroine. Yeah, sad movie.


A Dream of My Own

Auntie Jo told me about how Thai girls as young as 10 are being sold as sex slaves and that when they are set free, they are so traumatized by the sight of a white man, that they refuse help from Caucasians. Now they are left helpless without an education and family. That is heartbreaking. And that is partially why the Feminist movement is going so strong: because if God indeed gave woman to man, then they are completely abusing their power through prostitution, pornography etc. I remember reading an article from the Times about sex slaves in Mexico and how trafficking is so prevalent within these third world countries. And it makes me so disappointed and sad to see kids being robbed of their childhood to become slaves and to have to commit such disgusting acts. So Auntie Jo suggested that I write to Bono's PR or whatever to ask if I could intern with them to understand the works of a for-profit organization that deals with both environmental and social issues. She toyed with these idea in my head that I should consider those Thai children who have no skills and need some way to start life anew.
Hm so now I have a dream- perhaps not a vision because it's not so clear and direct at the moment but nevertheless it has been born.
I wonder if it is possible to hook up with some organization that tries to exploit these rings, take the children in and teach them how to sew etc, pay them a fair wage in addition to giving them a place to stay and food for them to eat. The clothes are then shipped to America, where they are sold. Hm, the more I think about it, the more possible it is to do. Don't be such a skeptic. Parsons may be a hefty price to pay, but it definitely can hook me up with organizations. I've seen it done before in a different industry (handicaps and air travel, water jugs that only 'allow' clean water to be placed because of the design of the valve to avoid Africans from getting bacteria in their drinking water). Mmm.. the only major issue is the originality and creativity of the designs that need to attract the American consumer.


Intuition
The act or faculty of knowing or sensing without the use of rational processes; immediate cognition
A sense of something not evident or deducible; an impression
I am a person of intuition and do things by how I feel, not by what I ought to do. You may frown upon that for I am unreliable without the self control or rationality that many have but I love the spontaneity. I dislike being controlled by a sense of order and time schedules. I like writing a vague schedule down and having the flexibility to change it by the currect situation or how I feel. I love it that Allie and I just randomly go on walks to Blockbuster and rent several movies and watch them on her bed. I love that unexpected act of doing something fun inbetween a busy schedule when we feel like having a break.


Boyfriend

No, not my own, but my cousin's. When I first met him, he was just 'Michelle's boyfriend' but now I think he's a really amazing guy and Michelle really chose well and now I can see why she was so drawn to him in the first place. Although we were total strangers, he tried to make conversation and small talk. He has also been so incredibly generous and kind throughout the whole process of my lease: he agreed to be one of the guarantors (that entails you to say how much you earn a year, the amount of money in your bank statement and other personal/financial details). He's warm, funny and just someone you can just really feel comfortable with. Good job, Michelle. Hahaha.


So this is love... so this is what makes life divine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home