When It's All Said and Done
So this picnic basket I have been consumed by- well- since Spring Break, has gone from this idea in my head to being fully fleshed out. Yet when I went to present, there were a few compliments on my attention to detail but the majority of the crit for me was about how the table leafs slightly drooped downward than stay at a 180 degrees.
I just felt really disappointed because I've taken so much care and time to do everything perfectly. I found leather and made small little straps and strapped forks and spoons to the side.
The thing about art is, is that whatever you do, at critiques, you get crushed with comments and opinions and suggestions for improvement. And it's just very discouraging. Considering this was a personal endeavour and my first time really using wood- I learned how to screw things in (more than just using a drill: measure, punch hole with metal puncher, find the right drill bit and drill a pilot hole, screw in screw) I was so proud of my work. Every layer of stain took 24 hours to dry... so I had to plan everything way ahead of time. I don't know. During the crit, I just started babbling about all these things and I'm afraid some people might have seen this as superiority or something. Iono.
I want people to so badly understand my thought and work process that went through it. I mean, the artist/designer creates things for people to admire/love/use. If there wasn't anybody to appreciate it, then it is dead.
I'm skipping class tomorrow. I just feel drained from the 3d project and if Robyn and Auntie Jo are coming tomorrow.. I have to catch up with other coursework and attend this Good Friday service at the Brooklyn Tabernacle.
Otherwise today was a beautiful day.. we did a walk through of our apartment (it's REALLY dark because we don't get natural light) and signed lease papers which then have to be signed by the management company and then given to us. We can move in early: April 28 so we're going to start bringing things into the apartment like winter clothes and crates (we're going to build a huge crate bookcase.. after 3D I feel like I can make anything).
Allie and Bonnie were talking about money and Bonnie was saying how she's 'obsessed and fascinated' with money and how rich kids at our school can just blow off a ton of money without a care.. there was this girl in her class whose comp broke down so she just went to the Apple store and bought a new $3000 laptop on the spot in the name of homework. Another girl at the caf was telling this guy she bought a dress for $520 and the guy said it was not that much.... geez. And Bonnie continued on saying that she felt so bad for getting the apartment and that she feels guilty and doesn'[t want her parents paying for it and that she'd rather live in Queens if she wasn't so forgetful and pay half the rent. Let me tell you, I felt very insulted and a slight tinge of anger right at that moment. How ungrateful she is: I went to the broker every time he called her and spent several hours there, I got the guarantors to sign papers, I found all the apartments: over 100 potential ones. Every day I went on Craigslist.com and looked over every listing and saved them in a file. I visited the apartments and went with our first broker. I just told her to sign this, this and this and to get money and to call the guy several times. That's all. Be happy you got the apartment and stop saying how bad you feel for getting it because you admitted that you have to live near the school. The apartment happened because of me: I did all the work. And I think this is one legit reason for being pissed off. Tomorrow I probably have to go to the broker's office again out of politeness since my other guarantor is signing her papers and I want to show her my appreciation. Sigh. I just don't get it. I am going to bed.
I just felt really disappointed because I've taken so much care and time to do everything perfectly. I found leather and made small little straps and strapped forks and spoons to the side.
The thing about art is, is that whatever you do, at critiques, you get crushed with comments and opinions and suggestions for improvement. And it's just very discouraging. Considering this was a personal endeavour and my first time really using wood- I learned how to screw things in (more than just using a drill: measure, punch hole with metal puncher, find the right drill bit and drill a pilot hole, screw in screw) I was so proud of my work. Every layer of stain took 24 hours to dry... so I had to plan everything way ahead of time. I don't know. During the crit, I just started babbling about all these things and I'm afraid some people might have seen this as superiority or something. Iono.
I want people to so badly understand my thought and work process that went through it. I mean, the artist/designer creates things for people to admire/love/use. If there wasn't anybody to appreciate it, then it is dead.
I'm skipping class tomorrow. I just feel drained from the 3d project and if Robyn and Auntie Jo are coming tomorrow.. I have to catch up with other coursework and attend this Good Friday service at the Brooklyn Tabernacle.
Otherwise today was a beautiful day.. we did a walk through of our apartment (it's REALLY dark because we don't get natural light) and signed lease papers which then have to be signed by the management company and then given to us. We can move in early: April 28 so we're going to start bringing things into the apartment like winter clothes and crates (we're going to build a huge crate bookcase.. after 3D I feel like I can make anything).
Allie and Bonnie were talking about money and Bonnie was saying how she's 'obsessed and fascinated' with money and how rich kids at our school can just blow off a ton of money without a care.. there was this girl in her class whose comp broke down so she just went to the Apple store and bought a new $3000 laptop on the spot in the name of homework. Another girl at the caf was telling this guy she bought a dress for $520 and the guy said it was not that much.... geez. And Bonnie continued on saying that she felt so bad for getting the apartment and that she feels guilty and doesn'[t want her parents paying for it and that she'd rather live in Queens if she wasn't so forgetful and pay half the rent. Let me tell you, I felt very insulted and a slight tinge of anger right at that moment. How ungrateful she is: I went to the broker every time he called her and spent several hours there, I got the guarantors to sign papers, I found all the apartments: over 100 potential ones. Every day I went on Craigslist.com and looked over every listing and saved them in a file. I visited the apartments and went with our first broker. I just told her to sign this, this and this and to get money and to call the guy several times. That's all. Be happy you got the apartment and stop saying how bad you feel for getting it because you admitted that you have to live near the school. The apartment happened because of me: I did all the work. And I think this is one legit reason for being pissed off. Tomorrow I probably have to go to the broker's office again out of politeness since my other guarantor is signing her papers and I want to show her my appreciation. Sigh. I just don't get it. I am going to bed.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home