Thursday, March 23, 2006

Raise the Red Lantern: hopes have extinguished

So now I'm getting quite desperate for the 'perfect' internship/job. I want one here back at home.


Ugh I am so disappointed. I have been waiting to order the 1991 'Raise the Red Lantern' of Gong Li on dvd and everyone on Amazon said the dvd quality is poor and the subtitles suck. I'm sad. Now I have to get the VHS version except by the time I get it... i'll be in NY minus a vhs machine... I want to see it so bad.
The thing is, when I do watch Chinese films, they're always old ones. And once I went into a chinese video rental and asked for Gong li movies and they gave me a funny look because she's a relatively old actress. Everyone only sells current dvds. Even bootleggers. :(

Hm I'm adding a ton of stuff to my wishlist on Amazon including the two disc set for Memoirs of a Geisha which comes out on the 28th... I just want to see the second disc with the behind the scenes stuff. I was just thinking today.. those who buy the two disc versions of dvds either are art nerds and fans who enjoy watching how the film was created and rich idiots who just want to say they have the SPECIAL set rather than the one disc. It's true.
Anyway, I've added numerous Japanese textile books to my wishlist which include Japanese iconography. I have become quite obsessed with traditional Japanese culture. Since I can't afford antique kimonos (my dream one was $6500 and I think some rich collector bought it -_- I have a picture of it though) I think I shall start collecting sheets of yuzen washi paper. HAHAHA. $16/sheet. I know, I have pricey hobbies.
Anyway today I was mulling around and was watching tv when this book with the word 'JAPAN' splashed across it caught my eye down in my basement.. So I just lay down on my couch watching Tomb Raider and read up on Kyoto and the hotels and the different districts so for when I really do go back, I shall know much about the area. :P My mom asked me what I was reading and deemed me crazy but very good to know about. Did you know the cherry blossoms in Japan will bloom in the first week of April and we're all going to miss it because we're stuck here? Lol.


And if you thought persecution was a thing of the past:

'Prime Minister Stephen Harper phoned Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai Wednesday to express his concerns about an Afghan man facing a death penalty for converting from Islam to Christianity.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home