Thursday, March 09, 2006

While I was researching stuff on Shanghai, I came across this interesting quote written by a white person:

The Chinese are, indeed, very different from western peoples in some of their customs.
"They mount a horse on the right side instead of the left. The old men play marbles and fly kites, while children look gravely on. They shake hands with themselves instead of with each other. What we call the surname is written first and the other name afterwards. A coffin is a very acceptable present to a rich parent in good health. In the north they sail and pull their wheelbarrows in place of merely pushing them.
China is a country where the roads have no carriages and the ships have no keels; where the needle points to the south, the place of honour is on the left hand, and the seat of intellect is supposed to lie in the stomach; where it is rude to take off your hat, and to wear white clothes is to go into mourning. Can one be astonished to find a literature without an alphabet and a language without a grammar?"[5]

It's interesting to observe how two entirely different groups of people create traditions and customs that are totally opposite.

Did you know there's a new show called 'Black and White' which is a new reality series on two families: one black and one white, who go undergo cosmetic changes (non surgerical) and become the opposite race to see what it feels like. I think it sounds so messed up.

People who are indifferent or don't try to carry a conversation, annoy me.

I got my dread Drawing Fundamentals midterm evaluation today.. last semester, because got puke on my work, she said she wasn't sure where my priorities were and I got a mere average and below average.. although I can definitely say with confidence, I am better than most people in my class when it comes to traditional art and drawing. Our teacher who is usually nice in person, is really blunt when it comes to written crits or whatever.. she told michael he was one of the worst in our class (who wants to be told that?). Well I can say I got 'above average' in everything save the Craft Category which was average because she said I blend too much. Lol. Alright. She also wrote this in comments:
Samantha, last semester- at mid-semester- I told you I couldn't tell where your priorities were. I no longer have any question. It's very clear that you are working harder, with greater concentration, and focus on goals. Last semester you seemed rather distrated, even passive; now you are taking yourself seriously and actively challenging yourself. Your work is much improved. GREAT PROGRESS!
Ps. You're outside project is one of the best, if not the best, in this class!

Sweetness! HAhahaha.. that last compliment just blew me away. You don't understand.. my teacher usually never gives big compliments. She always likes to say 'you're on the right track' or 'it's good'. We are working on these personal object portraits (a collection of your most personal objects to draw from) and she loves mine because I've avoided the typical laptops, dvds, cds, music, ipods, purses, shoes etc and instead put in my violin, an ivory necklace my mother gave me, a necklace that I and Tania have a part of, lai see packets, a fan from Japan the last summer, the qi pao, a camera and a pair of scissors (love cutting up pictures) all placed inside the violin case. Yay that made my day today. I've been constantly trying to prove to everyone that I'm great at drawing. lol. Now I just have to do a value study of the drawing and then blow it up and do it again in charcoal. I feel pressured to make it look amazing now.. :( I feel giddy though.





And that is why passion is so great: it motivates and inspires you to do more. This whole semester, I've been riding on passion to spur me on to do better in my artwork. If I love it, I wouldn't care if people gave me constructive criticism and I wouldn't mind spending time on it. I took my digital design picture of bonnie three times because he said he wanted something different and something more.. I don't mind.. I love taking pictures and it'll work well with this photography portfolio I'm trying to build up. I've realized I have a knack at capturing sensuality. I love showing people a glimpse of what I love, so I don't really mind doing this personal object portrait study of my violin etc because all these things are uniquely me. I don't mind writing a huge long paper on gender and race because-hm- I just don't mind? I started writing it this morning and it became a huge long rant about the dominance of western culture.. I've got to tie it back in to my original thesis some how.. :S

Haha I'm talking to Robyn right now (who is not coming till April now.... I shake my fist at you!) told me this cute little story about Coby, in our church:

elaine told me that she took coby to the doctors today (he's 3).. and he had to sit on the chair and take of his shirt to monitor his breathing and the doctor asked elaine if he could speak in two word sentences yet and coby replied "i dont like being naked!"
He's like a mini Jonathan!
I am the only one who isn't sick in this room... Allie calls it a giant cess pool of germs. LOL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home