Wednesday, March 08, 2006

For Public Consumption ;)

Leaving a Legacy
As feminism grew in the 70's (?), people questioned whether females could be the breadwinners of the family, rather than the male. Women have always been associated with motherhood and rearing children while the men get to work and earn money to support them. So I was thinking... we women protest that it is unfair that the men get to don a suit and work at an office while we get to stay home and pack lunches and pick up the kids from school and doing the 'dirty work'... we must also consider that the husbands will be working to earn something that is only 'temporary' while women almost build their own legacy through caring and helping their children to grow- something that lasts. It is something that requires faith amongst tremendous uncertainty. Personally I think it's easier to control your own career and earn money because you can teach and try to raise your children like how you want them to be but in the end, they are the ones who decide how they want to live. No guarantees but can reap great rewards.


Nothing Comes Cheap
My pastor once said, higher living requires a higher cost. True true.


China--> Earnestly Trying to Conform
Interestingly enough, China is giving people free English lessons for the Olympics and trying to teach the people 'western manners'. I read this article and here's a funny excerpt from it concerning when people spit:
You have to spit into a tissue or a bag, and then put it into a dustbin to complete the process," she explained.
Zhang said her office has organized a small army of volunteers who are hitting Beijing's streets to hand out small "spit bags" and wearing bright orange uniforms with the Chinese character for "mucous" emblazoned in yellow on the back.
Public spitters already face fines up to 50 yuan (about $7 Cdn)



Globalization: the Melting Pot of Cultures
I think one of the worst consequences of globalization is the loss of diverse cultures. It is as if everyone wishes and aspires to be 'American'. Right now I'm researching and studying the Chinese 'qi pao' or also known as the cheongsam. The modern cheongsam evolved from the long loose shirt-looking thing into something tight fitting with slits along the side for an eyeful of leg. Why? Because Shanghainese prostitutes would conduct business with Americans and they turned the baggy qi pao so that it gave the woman a defined silhouette.
And now to satisfy the American stereotypes of Chinese women, we have now produced tacky polyester versions with clasps that have replaced the intricate Chinese knots.
And one part of me is fighting against such Americanization but it's too late. I can wear the part but the inside does not reflect the exterior. The Pillow Book is an extremely interesting diary of a Japanese woman. not just because it was set in the 11th century, but because we catch a glimpse of what a culture was like prior to Western influences: untouched, pure and unique.


Time Flies
Wow there's only 1.5 weeks left till I go home.. I want Chinese food so bad. I want to see Tania. I want to be able to walk from room to room. I want to sleep in my nice cozy bed. I want to see a horizon. I want to hear Chinese. I want to drive. I want a glimpse of the old life.


Summer Plans
Hm... I doubt we'll be traveling much this summer (darn darn.. next year, I'm gonna go to Japan.. a japanese girl in my class wants me to go with her this summer back to Sapporo and Tokyo where her family lives. That would be so cool). So I have been thinking of ways to fill my summer which is not two months anymore but THREE. hahaha.. yay... May 15 I am off.
-Get a job or an internship or both (Bill Blass? Ralph Lauren? Some environmental designer?) for 1.5 months
-Prep my apartment.. yay...
-Learn how to cook: a must for next year. :P How to make a huge wok of fried rice and there's my lunch for the whole week.. hahaha
-Perhaps take a few sewing classes
-Do some art.. that's a given.
-Party with friends
-Get my full licence.. er.. yes..
-Perhaps get a job in Toronto: if I can get a job here, I am invincible! Can I work at Holt Renfrew? Nah.. stuck up. snobby old women on Botox and collagen. ;)
-Oh right... wisdom teeth....
-Great, I'm blind for two weeks because I need to readjust my left lens.. :( Then I guess I can't work.. boo urns. Don't want to wear glasses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home