Friday, March 03, 2006

Here and There

Last night was interesting. It started off with Liz telling me that this guy named Ames (who has hygiene issues.. not as much anymore.. wait I take it back.. he came in and stank up our room with his foot odour. I am so disgusted at the moment) had mentioned a couple of times that he found 'Sam intriguing'. I asked her why and my classmate who was working in my room said, 'probably because you're Asian'. lol. Then Allie and Liz started teasing me and telling me how I should hook up with him. I told them firstly he's not a clean person, secondly he's not a Christian.
Oh man, the place erupted.
What made the house shake even more was when I mentioned that I need to ask for permission to date until I'm 21 (I don't really care, it's not like I can't) and they were absolutely MORTIFIED. Lol.
Then it launched into this whole thing about religion and what is right and wrong. To them, smoking a little bit of pot is okay because it's not harming your body THAT much because EVERYTHING can kill you. Being a Christian means you try to stay upright but you know.. you can stumble a little here and there. I started telling them about the Christian perspective that if you were a Christian, you'd treat your body as God's temple. And bonnie interrupted me and said she was trying to avoid to say that (she and liz used to attend church till around 15).
They just can't believe that my mom set that rule and that he'd have to be a Christian.. which kind of confused me. They said they'd date a Christian- I was thinking, if he was, he wouldn't date you. lol.
Anyway so Bonnie came up to me when I was in bed and asked me why I hadn't tried to encourage her to go to church. It took me by surprise. For me, it's first about listening (she said she always felt guilty for not going to church and that she'd like to return back to the christian life.. she considers herself a Christian right now though actions may say otherwise). I asked her why she goes to church sometimes and she said to worship god. She told me she always feels guilty but she can't seem to get enough willpower to change her entire lifestyle.. such as her excessive amount of swearing... you know how when you know you can't do something, you want to do it even more. I guess that's what she meant. Anyway, there are different ways of evangelizing yes? She has told me before that she used to go to church and stuff and I didn't say anything (could be partially fear but I dislike just asking someone right away without really knowing them and their situation). She told me she hated Korean churches and the congregation because they were proud. So I told her she was welcome to join me if she wanted to at my white church. lol. She did tell me that I was so far one of the best examples of a Christian that she has encountered. I told her she hasn't known me for long.. but still. How nice.
Anyway her classmate, also in the room, who is actually from Toronto (lives on Yonge and Lawrence... no idea if that's a nice area but he said it was near Bridle Path which is like the humungo houses.. his dad is a prof at York University for American History. Apparently he's really rich.. he went to Upper Canada College) said he didn't mind people who were religious because if it gave them self confidence and a purpose.. sure. But he doesn't believe in anything himself though he was born 'Jewish'.
Anyway, Veronica and I finished our book (a comparison of Deng vs Chavez and the Tiananmen Square Massacre and the Massacre in 2000 something... in Venezuela) and today we had the critique.. Michael kept saying that he didn't like how we included a 400 word bio of the presidents because it turned him off and was too wordy... and I couldn't resist saying something against him. Look, the covers which had the flags of both countries as well as this neat accordian type image of both the presidents and a photograph of the event was visually 'stimulating' enough that I thought that we could balance it out with a bio. The characters are so complex and deep that it's hard to show you how they developed and became president and what lead them to take such drastic measures. We already sifted through a lot of information and cut the bios down a lot. We have so many images there yet they cannot go as deep as words can. That's what I said to the teacher (less she is influenced by Michael and his crit). What I also would have liked to say was, stop being so lazy and read. I realized right then, that many people, especially visual artists, are so used to looking and critiquing images, that we've become too lazy to read. Just serve up the info with pictures so all we need to do is glance. But reading takes a lot more work. There is the actual looking at the words, which then need to register which then need to make some connection to what was said prior and after. Plus you have to remember it all. Art, however, is there in one big image, and read in a different way. Also, we presented our information like a book hence there has to be some text. She said it has to appeal to a wide audience so arguably speaking, we have both visual and text stimulants for those art nerds out there as well as some for bookworms. Hey, I just noticed that artists like to do this: make everything out of visuals until they get really lazy or have no clue what to do, and to solve this problem just insert a word to represent a visual they can't describe with images. Very bad.
I got pissed off at one of the pieces because it was poorly done. It just started with images of poor children in third world countries and there were people's opinions on why they thought they were poor. I was one of them, and when she asked me why I thought I was poor, I answered 'but I'm not poor.' She told me to make it up. -_-. So I did. Right on the spot. I said something really stupid,
"Oh you know how we go to Parsons which is a fashion school so many of the kids here can afford to buy expensive purses such as Louis Vuitton and Gucci... well I can't and all I can get is a Coach purse. My parents are not willing to pay for a designer label. Coach is a semi luxury brand."
Lol. As long as you know I didn't mean it..... then everything is fine. Well we didn't do the critique today but if I were to say something about their art, I would have torn it apart. Why? Firstly, it just started off with a slideshow of pictures and there was no intro to tell you what their concept was; so if you had just seen this for the first time, you would have been really confused as to what was happening. They never even prompted the viewer with the question. Their concept was that Parsons kids think they're poor and they wanted to promote awareness that we are not actually poor but there are people in third world countries who are doing far worse than us who don't have the basic human needs.. while we worry about not having that fashionable pair of Chanel glasses. Which I think is absolutely ludicrous because no one thinks they are poor at this school, they just desire what other people have already. If you can afford to pay $42 k to come here PLUS art supply expenses, then you are definitely not poor. So that was their presentation... It was so contrived and artificial.. it was an exaggeration and untrue piece of 'documentation'. Of course I won't say this next week at the critique but that's what I truly think.
Anyway. I am done ranting about that piece. Next... Korean makeup shops. As I said before (I think.. I never remember what i write in here and I've probably said these things several times already). I went with bonnie to NYU to drop some roses and Gone with the Wind dvd to her good friend.. we then proceeded to find that Face Shop again.. it was extremely windy and cold. Well we found it and my cheeks were bee stung red. I was looking for a toner and this annoying saleslady kept asking me if I wanted to know what skin type I had (as if she was some kind of guru) and when she asked me if I had used toner before in my skincare regimen, I answered no. And you know what she said? She said "Oh I can tell...." as she trailed off. I was very angry because you can't tell when one uses toner. She just said it to play up my insecurity (well I bought it anyway because I was planning on getting it there anyway). Pissed me off anyway. Salespeople at Korean shops are told to say things like that and to hound you so that you feel the pressure to buy something.
Dum dum dum... trying to find some good calligraphy to copy for my digital design. This is fun.
Parsons is so smart.. they make you pay $42 k and then force you to self teach yourself... such as 3d.. for us it's all trial and error and the teacher simply 'guides' you. -_-. We basically learn how to observe and make things work ourselves. Very cunning.
Omg, in lab, we're allowed to do TRADITIONAL PAINTING for our final project! you dont know how ecstatic our class was to be able to do some normal art rather than design work.. it was really sad actually because we were jumping and shouting in class.. Yay! No more solid shapes and hue circles and colour charts.. we get to PAINT! lol.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home