Masculinity
Why is it that the more we know about things, the more dissatisfied we become?
A slice of orange reminds me of chapped lips. When you peel and seperate two pieces from one another, observe the white translucent skin.
We had the luxury of drawing both male and female nude models on Monday posing next to each other. I was able to examine the extreme differences between the waif woman to this man who was extremely muscular on top (with softer torso). However I'm so used to adding very soft subtle shadows to a woman's body that I neglected to make harder shadows on the man's body so when we switched on the light, I realized for next class, I have to add contrasting darks and lights to all his muscles. It was fun drawing this guy- you could see every little muscle in his neck and shoulders.
Voice automated services piss me off. I want to pay my cell phone bill so get me a real person to talk to.
I thought this quote was quite interesting- one that I found while trying to learn about the history and evolution of the qipao:
"A feminist theory of fashion today needs to position itself somewhere between…
celebration and repudiation – or in an oscillation between them.”
The feminist must find a balance inbetween celebrating the woman's body yet not 'oversexualizing' it that it comes to the point of being a mere object for the man's eye. Yet bagginess in its attempt to free the woman from society's constraints of the ideal, can repress the uniqueness and beauty of the female anatomy thus almost promoting the superiority of men. Do I make any sense? It does in my head. :P
I was at the gym last night on the treadmill and a blind man comes, puts down his stick and gets on the machine. He started off walking and then began to run at 5.5 miles. I felt slightly sad because this is probably the only time he can really run freely (not really.. reminds me of a hamster on the wheel) without the fear of tripping over something. How precious our eyes are.
Last week my roomies and I were watching 'Real World: Key West' on MTV where seven strangers live in a house (basically like us roomies stuck in one room.. watch the drama!). There's this bulimic blonde girl who is the most self piteous thing I have ever heard. She keeps asking people how they can down pizza because "like I feel guilty for doing that and I can't do it.. I keep thinking about how fat I am and ugly.." -_-. She's tiny. She cried when a guy said she had a small chest (no jokes anatomically speaking)
Yay this Wednesday is the season finale of Project Runway.. the people in this roster were really talented and hysterically funny.
Today I spoke to my Estonian model friend. Recently she has been on a bumpy road: her very close friend who is also her sponsor for her visa (someone needed to verify that she would be a good American resident. Also has to earn at least $100,000/year) got into a snowmobile accident and died. Then last week she was in Jamaica doing a model photo shoot. While I was looking at her pictures on her laptop, her eyes welled up. It was so sudden- the death. Very sad. I told her about my Spring Break plans and that perhaps me and Bonnie will go to Miami next year like all the other American kids. :P Haha although she told me she kissed Leonardo Di Caprio on New Years at Miami because he said no one would give him a news year kiss. lol. funny.
Since Bonnie was sick at home and had no one to converse with, this gay guy, Jonathan, struck up conversation with me. We started talking about Foundation and how we're all ready to move on and dive into our majors. He asked Merily (interior design) and I what we were going into and I told him IDC for fashion and sustainability. He told me that it sounded really interesting and what I would do with those two majors. I said environmental fashion working with organic materials etc. He answered, 'we need more people like you.' That's so encouraging.
We then conversed about his internship at Ashleigh Verrier. I was like 'Oh you mean that Parsons graduate who just went to Olympus Fashion Week and interned with Proenza Schouler?'. He was so surprised that I knew because she's just a new designer, recent graduate from Parsons. :P. He enthusiastically told me about his internship and all the things he did and how he was referred to the job by Tim Gunn.
The most New Yorker thing I do here is make a stop at Murray's Bagels and order a plain bagel with cream cheese and a tea with milk. Yum. $3.
I read a few essays for tomorrow on how Action Man dolls have more joints- meant to bend and move and do things while the Barbie doll barely has any joints symbolizing her role as just a 'beauty' thing: something to look at and nothing else. Also, for Clinique which is usually associated with feminine products, they marketed the male products by saying 'Clinique: Skin Supplies for Men'. "'Skin supplies' suggests a physical and cmmercial world rather than one of narcissism and pleasure. 'Supplies' suggests an organised system of necessary feeding, even a health or life-giving activity." (The Gendered Object). I think that's really interesting- some psychology and analysis of how the masculine brain functions and reacts to and how people try to sell things to men by just the mere change in language and form.
One thing I have learned about the sexual orientation of guys: straight ones observe your body while gay ones critique your clothes. Both suck.
Now watching reality tv on mtv.. feels like my brain cells are depleting.
A slice of orange reminds me of chapped lips. When you peel and seperate two pieces from one another, observe the white translucent skin.
We had the luxury of drawing both male and female nude models on Monday posing next to each other. I was able to examine the extreme differences between the waif woman to this man who was extremely muscular on top (with softer torso). However I'm so used to adding very soft subtle shadows to a woman's body that I neglected to make harder shadows on the man's body so when we switched on the light, I realized for next class, I have to add contrasting darks and lights to all his muscles. It was fun drawing this guy- you could see every little muscle in his neck and shoulders.
Voice automated services piss me off. I want to pay my cell phone bill so get me a real person to talk to.
I thought this quote was quite interesting- one that I found while trying to learn about the history and evolution of the qipao:
"A feminist theory of fashion today needs to position itself somewhere between…
celebration and repudiation – or in an oscillation between them.”
The feminist must find a balance inbetween celebrating the woman's body yet not 'oversexualizing' it that it comes to the point of being a mere object for the man's eye. Yet bagginess in its attempt to free the woman from society's constraints of the ideal, can repress the uniqueness and beauty of the female anatomy thus almost promoting the superiority of men. Do I make any sense? It does in my head. :P
I was at the gym last night on the treadmill and a blind man comes, puts down his stick and gets on the machine. He started off walking and then began to run at 5.5 miles. I felt slightly sad because this is probably the only time he can really run freely (not really.. reminds me of a hamster on the wheel) without the fear of tripping over something. How precious our eyes are.
Last week my roomies and I were watching 'Real World: Key West' on MTV where seven strangers live in a house (basically like us roomies stuck in one room.. watch the drama!). There's this bulimic blonde girl who is the most self piteous thing I have ever heard. She keeps asking people how they can down pizza because "like I feel guilty for doing that and I can't do it.. I keep thinking about how fat I am and ugly.." -_-. She's tiny. She cried when a guy said she had a small chest (no jokes anatomically speaking)
Yay this Wednesday is the season finale of Project Runway.. the people in this roster were really talented and hysterically funny.
Today I spoke to my Estonian model friend. Recently she has been on a bumpy road: her very close friend who is also her sponsor for her visa (someone needed to verify that she would be a good American resident. Also has to earn at least $100,000/year) got into a snowmobile accident and died. Then last week she was in Jamaica doing a model photo shoot. While I was looking at her pictures on her laptop, her eyes welled up. It was so sudden- the death. Very sad. I told her about my Spring Break plans and that perhaps me and Bonnie will go to Miami next year like all the other American kids. :P Haha although she told me she kissed Leonardo Di Caprio on New Years at Miami because he said no one would give him a news year kiss. lol. funny.
Since Bonnie was sick at home and had no one to converse with, this gay guy, Jonathan, struck up conversation with me. We started talking about Foundation and how we're all ready to move on and dive into our majors. He asked Merily (interior design) and I what we were going into and I told him IDC for fashion and sustainability. He told me that it sounded really interesting and what I would do with those two majors. I said environmental fashion working with organic materials etc. He answered, 'we need more people like you.' That's so encouraging.
We then conversed about his internship at Ashleigh Verrier. I was like 'Oh you mean that Parsons graduate who just went to Olympus Fashion Week and interned with Proenza Schouler?'. He was so surprised that I knew because she's just a new designer, recent graduate from Parsons. :P. He enthusiastically told me about his internship and all the things he did and how he was referred to the job by Tim Gunn.
The most New Yorker thing I do here is make a stop at Murray's Bagels and order a plain bagel with cream cheese and a tea with milk. Yum. $3.
I read a few essays for tomorrow on how Action Man dolls have more joints- meant to bend and move and do things while the Barbie doll barely has any joints symbolizing her role as just a 'beauty' thing: something to look at and nothing else. Also, for Clinique which is usually associated with feminine products, they marketed the male products by saying 'Clinique: Skin Supplies for Men'. "'Skin supplies' suggests a physical and cmmercial world rather than one of narcissism and pleasure. 'Supplies' suggests an organised system of necessary feeding, even a health or life-giving activity." (The Gendered Object). I think that's really interesting- some psychology and analysis of how the masculine brain functions and reacts to and how people try to sell things to men by just the mere change in language and form.
One thing I have learned about the sexual orientation of guys: straight ones observe your body while gay ones critique your clothes. Both suck.
Now watching reality tv on mtv.. feels like my brain cells are depleting.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home