Daily Doings. Reflections on Cloud. The Fob. The Game of Love
Exhibit One: Why Sam needs to stop watching japanese dramas... because she ends up taking photographs like this. Then again, it's not a bad picture. XD My eyes just hurt a lot after staring at the sun too long through a lens.
Daily Doings
A record of what I've been doing just so I never forget.
Day 5: I think this was Sunday. Went to church, had lunch at Ten Ren's with Jer and Rin, Pmall and karaoke with Kev and Andrew. Was presented with a scrapbook by them and thanks to alex, got my reactions videotaped on Rin's camera. Spontaneous chinese dessert-ing with Dor at night. We always bbt but this was the first time getting Chinese dessert together... it took ages. -_-
Day 6: Twas the day of good eating. Got treated out to Spencer's in Burlington by my cousin who came to visit NY. She recently got a stable job so she treated us all out at this restaurant overlooking the waterfront. Steak frites and some extremely cleverly displayed Taitian vanilla cheesecake (chocolate shell tower with cheesecake inside topped with lemon foam... chocolate gelato and oreo crumble as garnish on the side). Hot pot with my cousin and Derek at night.. and then Chinese dessert with two Sarahs. I always knew the UN Crew as the 'only-reserved-for-fun' group: we never got close, we just small talked and chilled together. Yet lately we've begun to really start talking about things beyond school and into deeper things like relationships. I've created a pseudo support group through them and they're the best people to be getting advice from. I talked things out with them and I'm content with a few decisions I made with their help. A friend pointed out to me something I wanted to do that was very much out of my nature and that perhaps I should not because of this.
Today: Just ran a bunch of errands and went to buy sandals to abuse whilst in HK. Talk about shoe shopping spree: patent leather black Salvatore Ferragamo's and a pair of Prada's. I'm not going to justify the prices, just that yeah. I walk a lot more than I drive and knowing my feet problems has created a lot of issues for me in finding good walking shoes. The Nine West pair I have are beyond redemption: got them in 2005 and they've worn down past the sole and into the body of the sandal. As much as I'd like to be cheap, in the area of shoes I can't. NOT because I like the idea of owning labels but because of the quality that's supposedly attached to certain brands over others. Besides, gas is so expensive these days anyway! I'm semi kidding but I'd rather not travel down this path of trying to justify expenditures that I know people are probably judging me on.
My parents decided to take me out to a belated birthday dinner at a japanese restaurant at the Westin Prince hotel. It exceeded my expectations in terms of presentation that's for sure. Since I got the prefix everything was put together and displayed so beautifully. I was extremely impressed. XD
Yep and I saw Ironman with Kevin. I'd give it... 7.5/10. I guess I hyped it up too much since everyone was saying how great it was that I got a little too excited and expected a little too much. All I can say is that the character development was done quite well and I really liked the computer graphics programs. XD OH and the suit was pretty sexy too with all its gadgetry.
--------------------------------------------------
Reflections on Cloud
-So I've been testing out this Henry Cloud theory. I've subjected myself to his ideologies in hopes of seeing whether or not it works. And if it didn't, find the holes within his theory. After about a year of this I've made several observations:
it is EXTREMELY hard to meet six new people a week. I eliminated this part due to lack of time. I have a feeling that Cloud caters his message towards the young adult/working group. I am still a student and I'm young so I'm not feeling too rushed... yet.
-He doesn't really factor in emotional attachment that one gets with certain people. As rational as some of us like to believe we are, a lot of us will be lenient to certain individuals in the hopes of getting better results. The UN crew and I talked about this yesterday: we generally are partial to certain people we prefer over the rest in order to swing the outcome one way over another. We tend to overlook some of the negatives in hopes that the positives would balance them out. And as one of my friends said, once you lower your standard slightly, it just snowballs from there. And because we are partial to certain individuals, we tend to immediately focus/zero our attention on those people rather than doing the whole 'meeting six new people a week'. Besides, I really am having a hard time remembering all the small talk I make every week.
-It's hard to define whether or not one is meeting others for selfish reasons or for outreach purposes. There are times where I feel like I'm just trying to get some relational high off of someone else rather than truly trying to get to know the person. It makes it even harder if there's this goal of meeting six people a week yet as I said earlier, I've eliminated that portion.
Overall, interesting philosophy but hard to follow. I gotta read the book again to refresh my memory but there are times where I see that Henry Cloud doesn't take into account some of the emotional aspects of being human. At the same time it's been semi successful experiment.
-------------------------------------------------------
The Fob
What comes around, goes around. I don't want to say I like a certain type of guy but now the whole anime, more feminine, fob look is really appealing to me. Looking back on the crushes I had, there really has not been a type that I've stayed away from. If the high school me saw me today, she'd probably be mortified by the fact that I'd actually be attracted to some of the UHSers I used to make a face at. It's so sad. I kinda see how I started deviating to this type from a fashion standpoint. I've been really unimpressed by Western ladies fashion lately; everything is recycling so quickly, everything is starting to look the same. I like to say that I'm very in tune with trends since fashion is essentially the evolution of clothes from an aesthetic standpoint, it has become intuition. I'm very 'in tune' with what I like and don't like, the majority of the time my taste in clothes is farther along than what the stores are currently offering. I hate this whole empire waist and bubble hemline look that they're offering right now. It looks like maternity wear and does not flatter the majority of girls and I'm sure a lot of guys are wondering when the pregnant look came into style. Last year I did the whole ruffles, high necklines and extreme girly looks taken from Lolita and Mr. Darcy from 'Pride and Prejudice' and this year it's really popular. I've become more interested in wide, low-cut necklines that show off the clavicle and shoulders. I really really like shirts and dresses that show a lot of back (I saw the one in Ironman and laughed to myself. I did not like that front though. Bad costume choice). Anyway this is why I haven't bought many clothes in the past while: nothing really impresses me nor are there any clothes that fit my taste regime in the present.
And because I started looking at menswear and then slowly began to look for inspiration in japanese magazines such as Fruits and at Pacific Mall (about the only place where I buy clothes in toronto now). Fob fashion is where it's at. The stuff is more interesting, more eclectic and more daring compared to American fashion. Since fob fashion began to look more appealing, so did the guys who wore them. And I must say again, j dramas don't help either. I'm a punch sucker for skinny ties, white adidas with black stripes, dark washed denim, one button blazers with interesting tailored details, clever graphic tees, messenger bags and knit scarves.
Hero Jae Joong:

The guy who every asian/fob girl is crazy for but who I'd never date (only in my dreams) probably because he's prettier than me. But he'd make a great doll to dress up. I love this picture. He has a beautiful bone structure. As Robyn said, "does this person exist in real life?!?!"
Yes and my cousin fangirls certain guys ever so secretly. ;)
---------------------------------------------------
The Game of Love
They say love isn't a game. Yet so many analogies about this subject come from this concept of poker and gambling. At times I wonder whether or not viewing love as a game is such a bad thing. Games are taken seriously as well as for the means of fun right? I just find a lot of my choice in diction when I describe and talk about relationships are intertwined with the ideas of showing hand, poker face, dealing cards and taking risks.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home