paraphernelia
Amongst the chaos due to this Danish cartoon that has sparked controversy amongst the global community of Muslims, free speech has once again become an issue: is an individual allowed to express his or her own opinions without regard to others?
I support this thing we call 'free speech'. I fear that one day North America will try to silence the people from speaking against touchy issues such as homosexuality and deem it as 'hate crimes' especially since in Canada an act to silence those who oppose gay people is trying to be passed.
An interesting fact came up behind the Danish cartoon: they were originally going to post up a cartoon of Jesus with an erection but decided against it. And we cannot voice our opinions about homosexuality? And it has nothing to do with being homophobic. I can say with confidence, that I see more gay men than straight every day. The gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender building is just a block away from me (go down the road and cross the street, you will see a large rainbow flag hanging out).
I believe that the reasons for why they posted the cartoon was wrong. Because it was in the form of a cartoon, in which cartoons are mainly used to make people laugh (then there are those cynical editorial ones), this particular one was not funny at all. It was offensive. Also because it was in a newspaper, it would have circulated among the whole nation, mass produced to show what one agency felt about Muslims. However if it was one person's opinion, I think it would have been different.
In the end, it's all about respect and the reasons for publishing this cartoon in such a manner.
Oops it ends up the song wasn't by David Crowder (Bonnie got it wrong). It was Lifehouse which I found funny because they don't want to be called a Christian band except this song they wrote is one. It's called 'Everything' and it's probably really old, but I catch onto popular songs a lot later than the general public.
It's a special song because throughout the whole piece, it's quite mellow and subtle- which I love because we have too many noisy loud songs these days. Yet the lyrics are so wonderful. It just builds up to the finale when it does really get loud.. I guess you could say it's the chorus. It's also arranged in an interesting unconventional way in which the chorus does not repeat itself and is placed at the end. Several lines that really speak to me. Personally those quiet yet powerful songs are the most beautiful.
you are the hope
that keeps me trusting
you are the light to my soul
you are my purpose
you're everything
and how can I stand here with you
and not be moved by it
would you tell me how could it be
any better than this
you calm the storms
and you give me rest
you hold me in your hands
you won't let me fold
you still my heart
when you take my breath away
would you take me in take me deeper now
and how can I stand here with you
and not be moved by it?
Anyway, it's not in my nature to post lyrics up because I know people don't read them and just scan them. But oh well, I just love that one italicized line.
No one's here. I saw three quarters of Titanic today and I think the most beautiful part (so far.. but I know what happens in the end) was the life drawing part. I remember my parents told me when it first came out, that the movie wasn't for me so I never watched it till now. So I am now de-virginized. Aw there goes my proud title. But I don't know. That scene just took my breath away, starting from when she swept the butterfly comb out of her hair (it was a closeup shot... very beautiful) to when Jack started to draw her in conte.
Life drawing is always an interesting experience. For so many years, I have always had this perception that everyone had the same kind of body as I did (for women that is).. but in grade 11, we were introduced to the world of nudes in which every type of body was splayed out for all of us to see, examine and draw. I love drawing fat women.. there's more to draw- those soft subtle curves. Arms are never drawn linear. There is always a soft curve somewhere if you look hard enough. And as Jack does, I love hands. I love watching them, how they are positioned and how the fingers curl. Maybe it's because I love my own hands.. one of the features that I actually love about myself- my alien-like bony fingers. To me, they look like any other hands but I've noticed ever since I was in gr2, my parent's friends would ask me if I played the piano, and to my puzzlement, I'd reply no. As a kid I'd make little hand gestures and pretend one hand was some kind of creature and the other, another creature and they'd interact. Hahaha.
Now to let you into a little secret of mine. you can tell if I'm nervous if I start making hand gestures. If I do seminars and get nervous, I start waving my hands around. That's how I let out nervous energy and I guess it's good sometimes. :P Now I know people will use this against me.
Anyway back to life drawing. I never knew that a torso could slope in to show a pronounced define line. I never knew that breasts could be so different on each person. I never knew waists and hips could have such different definitions. When you look at people's drawings, they look anatomically uncorrect but when you compare it with the model, it looks right because every person is scaled differently. You know why that is? I think it's because we've become so used to fashion proportions: people with perfect symmetrical bodies with all the right curves. I think I've grown so used to seeing those people, when I study nudes, they look really weird and almost alienish.
So to all those who don't study bodies like I do, they do not look like those in the magazines. It took me this long to realize how each one is so unique. Don't be like me, and get accustomed to those in magazines and on billboards.
It was incredibly sensual and beautiful.
I just want to watch that scene again.
When the women were gathered to have tea in one of the scenes, I saw a three tiered platter being pushed on the cart in the hazy background and exclaimed 'high tea!'. She's never heard of it before so I'm going to take her one day because I know she'll love it- with the old english history and her love for beautiful things.
But for now, I shall just sit here and do work. I think I'm the only one who doesn't have a life here. Everyone goes out and parties and drinks and I'm just here all the time in my room.
I support this thing we call 'free speech'. I fear that one day North America will try to silence the people from speaking against touchy issues such as homosexuality and deem it as 'hate crimes' especially since in Canada an act to silence those who oppose gay people is trying to be passed.
An interesting fact came up behind the Danish cartoon: they were originally going to post up a cartoon of Jesus with an erection but decided against it. And we cannot voice our opinions about homosexuality? And it has nothing to do with being homophobic. I can say with confidence, that I see more gay men than straight every day. The gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender building is just a block away from me (go down the road and cross the street, you will see a large rainbow flag hanging out).
I believe that the reasons for why they posted the cartoon was wrong. Because it was in the form of a cartoon, in which cartoons are mainly used to make people laugh (then there are those cynical editorial ones), this particular one was not funny at all. It was offensive. Also because it was in a newspaper, it would have circulated among the whole nation, mass produced to show what one agency felt about Muslims. However if it was one person's opinion, I think it would have been different.
In the end, it's all about respect and the reasons for publishing this cartoon in such a manner.
Oops it ends up the song wasn't by David Crowder (Bonnie got it wrong). It was Lifehouse which I found funny because they don't want to be called a Christian band except this song they wrote is one. It's called 'Everything' and it's probably really old, but I catch onto popular songs a lot later than the general public.
It's a special song because throughout the whole piece, it's quite mellow and subtle- which I love because we have too many noisy loud songs these days. Yet the lyrics are so wonderful. It just builds up to the finale when it does really get loud.. I guess you could say it's the chorus. It's also arranged in an interesting unconventional way in which the chorus does not repeat itself and is placed at the end. Several lines that really speak to me. Personally those quiet yet powerful songs are the most beautiful.
you are the hope
that keeps me trusting
you are the light to my soul
you are my purpose
you're everything
and how can I stand here with you
and not be moved by it
would you tell me how could it be
any better than this
you calm the storms
and you give me rest
you hold me in your hands
you won't let me fold
you still my heart
when you take my breath away
would you take me in take me deeper now
and how can I stand here with you
and not be moved by it?
Anyway, it's not in my nature to post lyrics up because I know people don't read them and just scan them. But oh well, I just love that one italicized line.
No one's here. I saw three quarters of Titanic today and I think the most beautiful part (so far.. but I know what happens in the end) was the life drawing part. I remember my parents told me when it first came out, that the movie wasn't for me so I never watched it till now. So I am now de-virginized. Aw there goes my proud title. But I don't know. That scene just took my breath away, starting from when she swept the butterfly comb out of her hair (it was a closeup shot... very beautiful) to when Jack started to draw her in conte.
Life drawing is always an interesting experience. For so many years, I have always had this perception that everyone had the same kind of body as I did (for women that is).. but in grade 11, we were introduced to the world of nudes in which every type of body was splayed out for all of us to see, examine and draw. I love drawing fat women.. there's more to draw- those soft subtle curves. Arms are never drawn linear. There is always a soft curve somewhere if you look hard enough. And as Jack does, I love hands. I love watching them, how they are positioned and how the fingers curl. Maybe it's because I love my own hands.. one of the features that I actually love about myself- my alien-like bony fingers. To me, they look like any other hands but I've noticed ever since I was in gr2, my parent's friends would ask me if I played the piano, and to my puzzlement, I'd reply no. As a kid I'd make little hand gestures and pretend one hand was some kind of creature and the other, another creature and they'd interact. Hahaha.
Now to let you into a little secret of mine. you can tell if I'm nervous if I start making hand gestures. If I do seminars and get nervous, I start waving my hands around. That's how I let out nervous energy and I guess it's good sometimes. :P Now I know people will use this against me.
Anyway back to life drawing. I never knew that a torso could slope in to show a pronounced define line. I never knew that breasts could be so different on each person. I never knew waists and hips could have such different definitions. When you look at people's drawings, they look anatomically uncorrect but when you compare it with the model, it looks right because every person is scaled differently. You know why that is? I think it's because we've become so used to fashion proportions: people with perfect symmetrical bodies with all the right curves. I think I've grown so used to seeing those people, when I study nudes, they look really weird and almost alienish.
So to all those who don't study bodies like I do, they do not look like those in the magazines. It took me this long to realize how each one is so unique. Don't be like me, and get accustomed to those in magazines and on billboards.
It was incredibly sensual and beautiful.
I just want to watch that scene again.
When the women were gathered to have tea in one of the scenes, I saw a three tiered platter being pushed on the cart in the hazy background and exclaimed 'high tea!'. She's never heard of it before so I'm going to take her one day because I know she'll love it- with the old english history and her love for beautiful things.
But for now, I shall just sit here and do work. I think I'm the only one who doesn't have a life here. Everyone goes out and parties and drinks and I'm just here all the time in my room.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home