Feminism, Photos, Trust, and Cousins
So I've started the Mark of a Man. When I first heard of the book, I thought it was some book for males- naturally.
So according to the book, femininity has been distorted and twisted into a sexless society where everyone is deemed a 'person'. Rather being proud of being a female, everyone tries to hide it. Yet God, being the master of distinctions, created everything different: light vs darkness, night vs day, oceans vs land, marine life vs land animals, plants that live on earth vs plants that dwell in bodies of water.. so is it possible that males were supposed to be built and wired totally different from females? Did God create males to be physically stronger (hm I wonder if then, are women mentally stronger? Just wondering. I mean, we do need an upper edge and I'd rather be mentally stronger than physically. Or maybe just emotionally...). Yet in the end, both man and woman were created in His image.
So if this distinction can be settled upon, how about in terms of race? Are Asians in general, smarter academically? Africans and black people physically stronger and taller? I know because of the Tower of Babel, people were divided and everyone went on their own way... so perhaps we evolved naturally? Or perhaps it's from our culture. My intellectual capacity is not that deep.
I think it would be interesting to have a female president though. Women are in fact more relational than men. Then perhaps we wouldn't be wasting so much time having these trivial wars and building up ties between countries instead of breaking them down.
Sometimes I feel so naturally driven. Right now I'm feeling driven to graduate from the IDC program and gain a name within the fashion industry as a environmental fashion designer. Then I look at my life now- making shoes (and one broke... ergh) and having to tolerate another 3d project and I just feel tired. Yet still, something inside of me is telling me I am going to do something great in this life. But saying this casts a small shadow of doubt from the fear of failing and I'm scared, when I look back on life, I'd laugh at myself for having that courage in the first place to make such a bold statement.
So I've made my own Imagestation photo album thing.. so if I ever take pictures, I'll try to upload all the images on there for everyone (I know everyone has been bugging me). The only pictures that I won't put on there, are my own art pictures which go to my deviantart account. If you want to see images, go to imagestation.com and type in samster12. Had fun writing up little captions.. as you can see I am procrastinating against standing on my shoes.
I remember this quote I once read in the paper,
"Touch is about trust, allowing someone to care for you"
Not going to explain why.
People usually are one or the other: extremely trusting at a very early stage in a relationship, or very wary about letting their walls down to let others in. Rarely do I find a person who is somewhat inbetween. I myself, am quite trusting even in young relationships. However I know that Tania was the polar opposite and it took a bit of time before she did open up to me.
Everyone at Parsons is so sensitive: oh art kids. I just read an essay last week for my writing course in which the author said it would be scary if artists and designers ran the world. Amen to that.
After looking at all my old photographs, I must agree with Grace, good looks do run in my family (at least in my dad's side). I remember as a kid, following my older cousins because I admired them so. I'd follow Grace and Grace would follow Tammy when we visited Hong Kong.
I remember before our trip to San Francisco/Mexican Cruise for the wedding of my cousin Louisa (which was extremely lavish), I dreaded going. I've always felt inferior to my other cousins (I am the youngest of the girls or at least one of them). All of them are successful: schooling in Yale, Cornell, med schools in Chicago, UCLA, Queens etc. But that wasn't really it, it was more like I felt intimidated because of their physical appearance- they're all tall, athletic, beautifully chiseled features and usually with a boyfriend (I only have one other older male cousin called Eugene. Very good looking but not quite photogenic). They're all beautiful. And I feel inferior when I'm with them. And being the youngest, I feel kind of stupid. I always feel stupid or feel as if someone is trying to show me how stupid I am. I feel like this when people start talking about:
-math/science and all those theories and equations (mostly whenever I return back to Canada)
-psychology and philosophical whatnots
I know it may all sound kind of silly yet I still look at it that way- as if they all look down on me. I know my cousin who lives in NY, is very skeptical about the fashion industry and thinks if I go into it, I'll be working with a bunch of airheads.
However on my mom's side, which is a lot smaller in size, I feel as if they're more down to earth- more intimate and closer. Perhaps it's because I spend more time with them. I love my cousins to death. I remember as little kids, our Saturday gatherings, eating grandma's scrambled eggs with tomatoes and playing at the rock garden.
The funny thing about my dad's side are all the aunts and uncles and how they interact in their oh-so chinese way... whenever my cousins acquire a boyfriend, it becomes global news: from HK to LA to SF to Toronto to NY. And I remember when Steve, Melissa's boyfriend, was introduced to the huge family at our wedding reunion... a huge circle of abouut 25+ people all saying their names.. Grace and I felt so bad for him. Even worse, Louisa's husband-to-be couldn't enter the house on the wedding day unless he performed a certain number of tasks: including listing all nine brothers (my uncles plus my dad) in order and by name. Lol. He was really good. I can't even name all my aunts and uncles and cousins. Advice from Grace: do not mention about a significant one within the family because it will get around. Unless you're Eugene who has had numerous girlfriends and none of us have ever heard or met of any of them. Oh my quirky family.
Anyway I ought to test my shoe.. I pray they don't collapse under my weight.
So according to the book, femininity has been distorted and twisted into a sexless society where everyone is deemed a 'person'. Rather being proud of being a female, everyone tries to hide it. Yet God, being the master of distinctions, created everything different: light vs darkness, night vs day, oceans vs land, marine life vs land animals, plants that live on earth vs plants that dwell in bodies of water.. so is it possible that males were supposed to be built and wired totally different from females? Did God create males to be physically stronger (hm I wonder if then, are women mentally stronger? Just wondering. I mean, we do need an upper edge and I'd rather be mentally stronger than physically. Or maybe just emotionally...). Yet in the end, both man and woman were created in His image.
So if this distinction can be settled upon, how about in terms of race? Are Asians in general, smarter academically? Africans and black people physically stronger and taller? I know because of the Tower of Babel, people were divided and everyone went on their own way... so perhaps we evolved naturally? Or perhaps it's from our culture. My intellectual capacity is not that deep.
I think it would be interesting to have a female president though. Women are in fact more relational than men. Then perhaps we wouldn't be wasting so much time having these trivial wars and building up ties between countries instead of breaking them down.
Sometimes I feel so naturally driven. Right now I'm feeling driven to graduate from the IDC program and gain a name within the fashion industry as a environmental fashion designer. Then I look at my life now- making shoes (and one broke... ergh) and having to tolerate another 3d project and I just feel tired. Yet still, something inside of me is telling me I am going to do something great in this life. But saying this casts a small shadow of doubt from the fear of failing and I'm scared, when I look back on life, I'd laugh at myself for having that courage in the first place to make such a bold statement.
So I've made my own Imagestation photo album thing.. so if I ever take pictures, I'll try to upload all the images on there for everyone (I know everyone has been bugging me). The only pictures that I won't put on there, are my own art pictures which go to my deviantart account. If you want to see images, go to imagestation.com and type in samster12. Had fun writing up little captions.. as you can see I am procrastinating against standing on my shoes.
I remember this quote I once read in the paper,
"Touch is about trust, allowing someone to care for you"
Not going to explain why.
People usually are one or the other: extremely trusting at a very early stage in a relationship, or very wary about letting their walls down to let others in. Rarely do I find a person who is somewhat inbetween. I myself, am quite trusting even in young relationships. However I know that Tania was the polar opposite and it took a bit of time before she did open up to me.
Everyone at Parsons is so sensitive: oh art kids. I just read an essay last week for my writing course in which the author said it would be scary if artists and designers ran the world. Amen to that.
After looking at all my old photographs, I must agree with Grace, good looks do run in my family (at least in my dad's side). I remember as a kid, following my older cousins because I admired them so. I'd follow Grace and Grace would follow Tammy when we visited Hong Kong.
I remember before our trip to San Francisco/Mexican Cruise for the wedding of my cousin Louisa (which was extremely lavish), I dreaded going. I've always felt inferior to my other cousins (I am the youngest of the girls or at least one of them). All of them are successful: schooling in Yale, Cornell, med schools in Chicago, UCLA, Queens etc. But that wasn't really it, it was more like I felt intimidated because of their physical appearance- they're all tall, athletic, beautifully chiseled features and usually with a boyfriend (I only have one other older male cousin called Eugene. Very good looking but not quite photogenic). They're all beautiful. And I feel inferior when I'm with them. And being the youngest, I feel kind of stupid. I always feel stupid or feel as if someone is trying to show me how stupid I am. I feel like this when people start talking about:
-math/science and all those theories and equations (mostly whenever I return back to Canada)
-psychology and philosophical whatnots
I know it may all sound kind of silly yet I still look at it that way- as if they all look down on me. I know my cousin who lives in NY, is very skeptical about the fashion industry and thinks if I go into it, I'll be working with a bunch of airheads.
However on my mom's side, which is a lot smaller in size, I feel as if they're more down to earth- more intimate and closer. Perhaps it's because I spend more time with them. I love my cousins to death. I remember as little kids, our Saturday gatherings, eating grandma's scrambled eggs with tomatoes and playing at the rock garden.
The funny thing about my dad's side are all the aunts and uncles and how they interact in their oh-so chinese way... whenever my cousins acquire a boyfriend, it becomes global news: from HK to LA to SF to Toronto to NY. And I remember when Steve, Melissa's boyfriend, was introduced to the huge family at our wedding reunion... a huge circle of abouut 25+ people all saying their names.. Grace and I felt so bad for him. Even worse, Louisa's husband-to-be couldn't enter the house on the wedding day unless he performed a certain number of tasks: including listing all nine brothers (my uncles plus my dad) in order and by name. Lol. He was really good. I can't even name all my aunts and uncles and cousins. Advice from Grace: do not mention about a significant one within the family because it will get around. Unless you're Eugene who has had numerous girlfriends and none of us have ever heard or met of any of them. Oh my quirky family.
Anyway I ought to test my shoe.. I pray they don't collapse under my weight.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home