Sunday, February 19, 2006

canadian cracks, foreign films, and just for you

"What's your thing called again... a doodle?"
"You mean a looney???"

Allie: Oh Sam and I went to Blockbuster to return her foreign film dvds
Liz: Were they Canadian?

My roommates are so funny. Allie just said "Dirk makes me sick". LOL.

Ok now I've got my albums public so if I ever took pictures that I never gave you guys.. there you go. Search 'samster12' under 'members'.

There's something about foreign films that draws me towards them. Though the plots are extremely different from Hollywood: they don't really make it easy for the viewer to understand. Rather it is about the symbolism and imagery and the small details that make up such a foreign film whereas the American audience likes everything served straight up plain and simple- nothing you have to think or ponder about you know? Like many of the movies I saw were not really understandable and didn't take my breath away but there's so much profoundness in the way they film the lives of ordinary people doing ordinary things. They make their supposed dull and quiet lives poetic and beautiful. Such as Zhou Yu's Train starring Gong Li.. there's something wonderful about how they show her on the train, sitting there glancing out the window. There's something wonderful about how Vivian Wu painted so many men in calligraphy- just seeing the chinese brush poised in mid air bloated with black ink. There's something magical about the way she curls up in her bathtub and hearing the water softly lapping the sides of the basin. See I never go out finishing a foreign film and being totally in awe of the story itself but I go out in life and appreciate the smallest sound and detail from the sound of the subway running along the tracks to the quiet jingling of costume jewelry. I'm addicted to foreign films- they play up your senses rather than just entertainment. It's so true.

I wish I knew Chinese calligraphy.

So today after church (talked about marriage.. I think it makes more sense now the book because as a couple, each has to make a sacrifice of themself so they can both grow... it is no longer the 'I' but more of the 'we'... he also said the reason why God does not want us to yoke with nonbelievers is because believers have experienced the highest form of love from God- that is agape love. And if you have experienced the 'best' love, and your mate who is a non believer has not, then how you love each other would be unbalanced and there is more take than give for the believer.) no one was home so I basically set up a little workstation on my bed and switched on my Memoirs soundtrack so I didn't need earphones and made a canopy with my scarf over the ugly iron tracks of the bed above and had a good time hanging around. Hahaha... Didn't get much work done today but did get to take some good macro shots of random stuff I had lying around. Kinda pathetic. It was nice to have some time alone though.

Tania, I just read your entry and it breaks my heart that you think of all those things. To me you are the most wonderful person that I have ever met: your loyalty and sheer selflessness never ceases to amaze me. Do not worry about what others think of you. I mean everyone does to a certain extent but don't let that hinder you from building relationships. You and I and everyone else around you knows you're incredibly talented, smart and have a lot of potential to do something great for the environment in the future. Yet you are beautiful inside and out and I hope you'll see that every time look in the mirror.
Remember Bridget Jones' Diary? One of my favourite scenes was when Colin Firth and Bridget Jones were cooking and her friends came over for a birthday dinner and they made a toast at the end to Bridget 'To whom we love, just as she is.'. And it makes me cry every time because I feel so happy for her that though she is 'fat', clumsy, and inarticulate, she has three wonderful friends who love her for who she is. Not any skinnier, prettier or more confident but how she was created.
I love you just as you are. Though we clash like every other day, you make me smile every time. See your incredible passion for the environment has rubbed off on me. Your willingness to try something new, makes me happy- from trying clothes that I pick for you (hahahaha) to allowing me design your prom dress (so much fun) to painting your room.
For whoever becomes your boyfriend/husband one day, to him I say, he is one of the luckiest men in the world because he chose someone who is so full of life, passion, energy and most of all- love and never short of it. Tania, you may not be what society calls 'beautiful' but in my eyes, you're lovely as you are. Hahah.. remember when we had grade 10 history together and we had to write that final paper? I got higher than you and I was so full of glee because to me, you were the smartest person. Hahh. I know it sounds bad but come on, sometimes I need to feel proud that I beat a genius. hahaha... just like in scrabble this past Christmas.
I've never included you in my art. I've done Julia a couple of times, Bonnie, Vanessa, Chantel, Sarah, Sarah B, Lois, Mitch, Alice etc... the reason, as I have probably told you before, is not because I think you're ugly whereas everyone else is beautiful but because you're so close to my heart, that I can't find anything to create that is worthy of 'representing' you. That's why I painted you and I as Sam and Frodo in that specific painting because you know how much I love LOTR. And that was the most detailed part of my painting too.
Tania, you are so important in my life. You have not faded at all. Far from that. You know that if I ever do find a significant other, he'd first have to love God, my family and last but definitely not least, you. Okay well not love, but like/get along. Lol. You get my jist.
Don't ever think for a second you are not worth anything to anyone. I love you so much Tania, you are the greatest friend I have ever known.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home