Friday, March 30, 2007

ANTM// The Factor of Physical Appearance// Good Quote



I bumped into my old roomie a few weeks ago and she asked me if I watched America's Next Top Model. I haven't watched the past few seasons because I'm not really interested in the drama as I am in the actual photoshoot and end result of the photography. Anyway I decided to tune in again. It is something I would not admit back in grade 12 but now my idea is that if people don't like it or think it's stupid, oh well.
Anyway the photoshoot this week required the contestants to be photographed as men while assistant male models were transformed into women. The two above were my absolute favourites- the left one looks like a poetic, wistful Sinbad. The other had the challenge of looking 'gangster' and added her own 'grill' with tin foil and had the funniest series of poses. The contestant herself has an accent when she spoke English but she still made the effort to ask the more Americanized girls to teach her the whole 'gangster style/attitude' type of thing.

The Factor of Physical Appearance
My roomie sent me the following link on dating relationships. If you're not christian, it's pretty funny in a disgusting sense:
http://www.intellectualwhores.com/masterladder.html
It basically breaks down the female/male brain in terms of desired attributes and all this crap. It really is a piece of stupid 'ideology' that mocks the idea of purity. Why I posted it if it's full of crap? I don't know why I thought but after seeing the Male pie chart it struck me that looks really do matter. Lately I realized through reading material and talking to some, that the former is true. I always had this utopian ideal that physical appearance didn't matter. I know that sounds really weird considering it's me but I think it's because I've read so many books on how inner beauty is so important and how outward beauty is so temporary and fleeting, that I seem to think that's what people really believe. Haha I had some idea that real, spiritual men did not really look at exteriors and went straight into the heart. Shallow men= appearances.
I know it seems the complete opposite of what people believe and it sounds a little incredulous coming from someone who is studying to make surface decor for the body but I think it's because of the overdose in Christian 'inner beauty' mantra that has made me believe that people actually saw that first. I have written a post in defense of how you first make an impression with your appearance but I don't think I really fully 'understood' it until now. When they said men were more 'visual' than females I didn't really weigh that in because I am an artist thus am just as visually stimulated as men. However I realized it was a different viewpoint- I think a lot of females don't fully understand that either. Or they do and use it to their own advantage. Short shorts to us are nothing- although I don't fully understand the mind of the male I guess it's different.. I think. Not sure.
With that I realize I do have to be a little more sensitive in terms of not causing others to stumble and what I post up verbally and visually. I think what I wear is not really an issue- I think.
I think another reason why I rejected the idea of physical attraction actually having some major playing time in the court, is that the people around me are constantly harping on it. As someone who is always seeking an equilibrium, I hear my roommate saying how she's fat and how she has to stop eating and all that.. and it tires me like no other. I hate hearing it because it's a bunch of self-made poison that's just killing her on the inside. No one likes to be around a negative person and listening to all her self criticism that really is not a big factor in the terms of beauty. I think she's pretty, I think she's attractive. You know what, I think Parsons has some of the most gorgeous girls I have ever seen in my entire life. With a 90% female pop, it's hard not to have some of the finest females in our school especially since we're a fashion school. The roomies had a talk once about this: NY vs LA and yeah, Manhattan really does have an overwhelming population of gorgeous (skinny) femmes. Okay I've sidetracked. Point is is that I don't think there are many hideous females. :P

Fall 2007
My initial reason for posting was to vent about the upcoming semester. I'm having a lot of trouble signing up for classes because I'm sure the good ones will be closed indefinitely to us IDC students. Sigh. I'm just really frustrated about everything and I feel like I'm being forced to take certain classes that I clearly do not want to take (yes I did give the course a chance- twice that is and both times sucked so I don't want to waste my $20k on a lame course for a third time). Someone mentioned something today which kind of pissed me off. I think it's okay if I criticize the major I'm in or if my roomie does because we are both expressing our frustrations in this experimental-like program. However when someone else puts it down and laughs at it, it really annoys me because they're basically laughing at my entire major plus everything that I have worked on thus far.
In the end, I don't think education will really teach us anything about the intended industry that we are all going into however I do believe experience is the real teacher.

Good Quote
Andrew just sent me this quote by the notorious Henry Cloud (and company) which holds true for me personally:

adults who grow up in military families often report this dynamic. they'll move twelve times in as many years, and htey quickly realize that they probably won't see their classmates ever again after each school year. to survive, they simply construct an adaptive front that lets them make a few acquaintances and not get rejected by the class, and that's it. no one gets close. they stay self-sufficient to keep form experiencing overwhelming loss and abandonment. and they often hold it together until they grow up and try to pull off a marriage - at which time disaster erupts.
make friends with your needs. welcome them. they are a gift from god, designed to draw you into relationship with him and with his safe people. your needs are the cure to the sin of self-sufficiency.


I don't think I've noticed it until lately when trying to get to know people. I realized that I have this natural reflex to just not feel anything when around people who are clearly inviting me to places or trying to initiate something. Last year I never felt this because I didn't talk to anyone at church- well anything more than a "hi my name is Samantha, nice to meet you." type of thing. This year I am trying to get into the loop of things however I don't get excited when people ask me out for lunch (well a little) but in my head it's like "get this over and done with" idea. I think I've semi recognized this and now it's pretty concrete with this Henry Cloud excerpt. I'm one of those moving, constant traveler with a wealth of culture/knowledge who has become quite independent due to the 'need' to move. However I have to figure out a way to go from independent to interdependent. I want to be interdependent. I do want to be able to rely on someone, perhaps in the dating/marriage realm, but when it comes into practice, I have difficulty actually accepting it.
You know what, the reason why I turn to MSN is because the internet, as much as I'd hate to admit, has the ability to continue relationships despite the criticisms of the lack of physical presence. However people like me, cannot afford to be choosy so I find MSN to be one of the driving forces in continuing, maintaining and even creating new relationships. It allows me to continue those short lived and shallow friendships and gives me the ability to dig deeper. Of course this has its downfalls but I can't complain. I do have friendships that are still up and running and flourishing due to the primary fact that MSN is allowing me to stay connected with those people.

Sooner or later I'll have to apply for Bloggers Anonymous or start my own club of one.
I honestly believe no one is following this anymore.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chislon said...

I am following this :D. I check blogs religiously.

About whether or not people are reading your blog... Do you want people to start reading your blog? Your blog isn't really even public right now. You need to do more than just write and wait for people to come. Search up the top blogs on Technorati or 9rules and you will see what I mean.

I like your blog. You write a lot better than I ever can, and you have opinions things I find to be somewhat interesting. I have lots of things to say because I have no where else to say them. You can choose to ignore them, or to reply to them, however you want. If my thoughts help, great. If they don't, I still think it was worth my time. You don't even have to reply this this. I just wanted to post this to show you that someone is actually reading this. If you don't mind me posting more comments, you could tell me and reply to this post.

* * *
= On Men =
The site is definitely not full of crap. I wouldn't say that it is only shallow men have those thoughts either. Being visually stimulated, and thereby being emotionally affected, is not something a man has complete control over. It is like telling someone to 'cheer up' when they are suffering from depression. It is built into their system, more specifically their genes. I believe that Andrew will gladly tell you all of the truth if you ask.

= On Physical Appearance =
Maybe you have heard it said: all men like 'pretty' things. I think it is actually a Biblical idea for men to be attracted to women they deem as beautiful. God made some more or less visually appealing for a reason. If you look at art, can you just say that all pieces of art are equally good? I don't think you would agree. Preferences are at the heart of what defines all that is beautiful.

If you believe that there is hideous art (and there obviously is), you must believe that there are hideous females.

= On Being More Extroverted =
Your thoughts are useful to me, because I have completely closed up in the last year or two. Anyways, here is a good read you may find use for:
Relationships: Why Can They Be So Scary? - Paul Tripp Ministries

2:10 p.m.  
Blogger Sam said...

Wow this is one of the longest comments ever posted. Thanks for writing your own opinion. I appreciate comments.
Here's my own response to what you said:

=On Men=
Since I am not male, it's hard for me to grasp the idea of how certain body parts can cause lust. It's partially because I do life drawing therefore used to seeing naked people and do not really struggle with visual temptation. It's like if I see a guy wearing really tight pants (a lot of those here), the first thing I think about is 'gross' or even if there was some really good looking guy with his shirt off, it wouldn't be an issue with lust and more like "wow I've only seen those type of men in magazines."

=On Physical Appearance=
If you look into history, men were often the ones who were viewed as 'beautiful' and not women. Women had to cover their entire bodies yet men showed off their legs because it was deemed as an asset.
Hey I like pretty things. My roomie and I fill our entire apartment with pretty things. :P Yeah I know what you mean.
Did you just say God made some girls less visually appealing? Ouch. Can I say that all pieces of art are equally good? What is 'good'? Personally I hate the aesthetic of Picasso but because he brought in another perspective/worldview of looking/defining art and the world itself, I respect it. Same with Marcel Duchamp's readymade Dada art where he stuck a urinal out and called it art. Toilets are not exactly the prettiest thing in the world but it forces you to examine the definition of art.

So do I believe there is hideous art? No. But I do believe that some things should not be called art. So do I believe there are hideous females? eeeee... The term in itself is really strong. Personally I find it's the antithesis of 'gorgeous' which I find people rarely use (usually it's pretty, cute, hot or beautiful). Honestly, I find some girls ugly if basing it just on physical appearance though most of the time I'm in the state of indifference if I don't respond to their look right away. While men base their opinions on the face and body (I could be wrong), I base my opinion also on clothing thus I also think sluts are ugly. Too bad, because they tend to have pretty faces- gotta just edit the rest of them out. LOL.
And I do not think God made some girls 'uglier' than others. We just have a really narrow minded view of what beauty is.

=On Being More Extroverted=
The reason why I don't put effort into relationships is because I don't feel the need to. As long as I have a group to hang out with and not look loserish, I'm fine. Obviously it's proven to not work but I developed this reflex that it's hard for me to break out of it which I'm working on.

7:49 p.m.  
Blogger Sam said...

ps. I don't really care for strangers to read my blog. Mine is written for myself and people I know/acquainted with. I'm not going to go around promoting my blog because it's too personal to advertise though it's out there on google search.

7:51 p.m.  
Blogger Chislon said...

=Men=
Have you heard of Digg, Delicious or StumbleUpon? They are website bookmark sharing sites. Anyways here is a link for some of the most popular articles about men, women, and psychology on the internet: del.icio.us search for "men psychology women". The Ladder theory site is actually in this list.

I know and testify to the fact that men are visually inclined, as they can be sensually stimulated more easily than women. The stimulation is not immediately conscious, and the awareness has the potential to turn into lustful thoughts. Initially they are not lustful thoughts, but the transition from sensation to lust is almost automatic in the mind of a typical male, depending on the type of stimulation received. Most men will react lustfully if they see a bit of skin whether they choose to or not. Not to say that it cannot be restrained, but cannot be completely eliminated.

=On Physical Appearance=
And I guess I wasn't really referring to art per-say, but the visual appeal of objects in general.

There shouldn't be anything wrong with the idea that men judge some women as less visually appealing than others. And yes, I am saying that God does design people this way. Not all people are created equally, or given equal opportunity. There is extreme beauty and vulgarity respectively, and there are judgments which accompany those definitions.

3:11 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home