Thursday, July 27, 2006

Future Wedding Thoughts


You know how they say while little boys dream of flying a fighter jet and shooting down the enemies, girls dream about their future wedding down to the last detail?
Except when Andrew told me he was saving up money for his future wedding- I burst out laughing. Sorry, it was really unexpected.
I saw my cousin's engagement ring a few weeks ago and she's getting married around 2008 (hopefully) and they must each raise $20,000 for the wedding itself (yikes). I told her to talk to me when she is looking for a gown because I may have a load of connections and hookups with designers to be or via internships. I was looking at my cousin Louisa's wedding invitation, menu card and wedding from 2004 when she had her lavish wedding at the famous Standford university's church and the banquet was held in this old marble bank. There were sprays of orchids everywhere with glass bowls of goldfish. The reception area had waiters serving wine to mini bubble teas.
The invite itself was extremely Chinese- red and gold with the huge double happiness sign on a cloth card.
It was the most beautiful, lavish and memorial wedding I had ever attended- actually this is the only one I really remember since the last time I went to one which was probably when I was still in Grade one. Click on the picture above. I don't think that picture really does it any justice. It was really detailed and you just had to be there. Each table had a tall fluted vase of yellow orchids- tons of them and each guest was given a gift of two 'singing cups' (useless but oh well) and there was a free bar. There was a dance at the end and it was funny to see my 80 year old grandmother attempt to dance. Because it was hosted in an old bank, there was no kitchen so she made the caterers set up shop three blocks away and made them walk back and forth with the dishes for everyone. Apparently she got into many arguments with my aunt over the type of chairs and the type of flowers (Which were not in season at the time). I don't think any of my cousins can top that unless they marry some other guy who's parents own a pasta company and has a house that has been featured on Architecture Digest and gives his fiance a Porsche 'just because' (I think he was just really cunning since my cousin doesn't know how to drive stick shift so technically he bought the car for himself). Haha. Yeah if I become a poor starving artist, I'll run to them for financing. hahaha.
I've thought about 'my future wedding' except there's nothing that I really want in particular. I remember talking to Tania about proposals and thought it would be great if her fiance got her courtside tickets to see Stevie (if he hasn't retired as of then) and propose to her there. HAHA. So far I know what I don't want- no ring in my soup or champagne because it will most likely end up in my stomach than on my finger. No boring fancy dinner and all that traditional stuff. I want it to be really creative and something I could never imagine. So good luck to you, whoever you are out there. Nothing boring and ordinary. I don't think even Tom Cruise's proposal to Katie Holmes on top of the Eiffel Tower was that impressive either. Kind of typical to be proposing in the city of romance. Haha. Take me to Venice or Kyoto or Shanghai.
When I was a kid I used to wonder how a woman could just say 'yes' right on the spot. I thought that if I was proposed to the first thing I'd say would be "I'll think about it." I just wanted to make a rational decision rather than on the spur, emotional "YES!" and regret it later on. Iwanted an outdoor wedding and imagined it on some lush grass hill with a huge forest surrounding it. It was fall so the colours of the trees had already turned gold and ruby. And I used to wonder if the bride and groom would be embarrassed to kiss in front of everybody at the end of their vows. And I vowed that I would edit that part out. Lol. And because of that, I wanted a small wedding so if I did have to do it, only a few people would see.
My mom once told me not to have a 'Chinese wedding' which surprised me because most Chinese parents want a Chinese wedding. She hates the long and dreary banquets with ten course meals and long speeches. I find those dull too. And I know for one thing, I'm scrapping the entire Chinese invite.
At my cousin's wedding, they had a Rolls Royce and my brother mentioned two days ago he wants to come in a P21 plane (one problem: it only seats one). Her cake was mango mousse (except it was really dry and gross- the only down point really) and she had about 500 guests (or was it 300 or 600. lol). Her makeup artists were Asian hence bridesmaids had stiff, crunchy, pouffed to the max, glittery hairstyles (yuck) and that silvery eyeshadow. Even her relatives (from aunts to cousins) got hair and makeup done. It was pretty funny because I looked like I had just gotten Botox done or something.
I think I'd keep some Chinese traditions. I remember the night before they did the traditional bride combing thing where all the older women would give words of advice to the bride to be (kind of boring for us bystanders but interesting to see anyway) and the whole Chinese tea ceremony (that's a lot of relatives to pour tea to except there's a ton of lai see to receive too. haha) and the whole bribing the bridesmaids and single women by the groom and his best men to see and have access to the bride (I reaped $200 US that day and there were nine of us. My mom later told me not to expect that at a normal wedding. :P). I think I'd keep some out of respect but not sure.
I know that I'd like to walk to Canon in D- I know it's very typical but it's been a song that I've loved since gr 5. I've learned to play it on piano (and smugly played it to my then best friends and never gave them the score so I could always top their playing skills. haha) and learned when the bride would walk in and how she'd walk (I think it was one step per bar in the intro). And then on the violin where I played it with this other guy at my grade eight graduation and then after that I used to do quartets in the stairwell back in gr 9 with three violins and a viola when I was still in AY Strings. It sounded freaking amazing. And then last year Liz and I wowed the art kids with our skills in playing Pachelbel's Canon. It's more of a personal thing than tradition- a song that I've grown up with and have actually learned to play.
Yeah so in conclusion, I have not really thought of anything definite. Not even the dress except Vera Wang would be nice ($4k). I would like the host/MC to be a mutual friend like my cousin had. It was a lot more personal and he told us funny stories about the two- how they met and how Louisa initially shunned him (ouch). And then her sisters went up to talk about the two and it was really sweet and nice. Oh I know! I want a fabulously great tasting cake in some weird architectural gravity defying shape. :P Concerning the engagement ring- whatever that can be afforded after trying to impress me with some creative proposal. It's not like you wear it forever since the wedding band has to replace it anyway.
Yeah. So that's the thoughts of 'the wedding' from a single female artist for you. Don't laugh at me. :P Nothing is written in stone.


I went to H&M today and saw three versions of the suspender dress: one in brown corduroy, one in blue and white stripes and one in black denim. Boo it's trendy now except they're charging people $60!

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

oh gee, now why don't you go tell everyone who i intend to marry too, while you're at it.

JUST KIDDING THERE WAS NO SUCH PROCLAMATION MADE.

anyway..now i'm gonna have to monitor this blog very closely. devious, sam, very devious. *fists*

10:10 a.m.  
Blogger Sam said...

What was so devious? I'm totally innocent.

9:49 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home