Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Age Issue

I only slept six hours last night and woke up this morning and couldn't get back in bed. Today au contraire of yesterday, was quite laidback and most unproductive.
I bought fabric for a pattern- this watery grey wool and cotton blend. I don't dare to start until I get some advice and input from my sewing teacher and I'm becoming quite impatient because the lessons are so sparse. I want to experiment but I'll make a ton of mistakes and waste a good pattern and fabric.


I finally, finally found a suspender dress for $6 today. I think I've developed a sixth sense for this secondhand purchasing. The only down side about it is that it's a little short length wise so I'm trying to see if I can add two inches of fabric on the hem to make it more 'modest'. And yet again I have to wait till Thursday so I can ask my teacher on how to lengthen a skirt. Sigh. I read a book on it except it's quite confusing. Maybe I'll just wear it short or add another skirt underneath. So ma fan.


I flipped through the August Vogue which was extremely boring except for the Chloe and Miu Miu ads. It was supposed to be the 'Age Issue' where they celebrated old supermodels and 'gracefully aging' celebrities and yet they had at least two articles on how to get your varicose veins zapped and how to have amazing feet when you're 40 via Botox and how you can now 'select' which wrinkles you want to keep or take away.
And by the time I flipped to the last page of a horribly over-embellished Louis Vuitton bag, I was disgusted. Vogue has distributes more than 1.8 million copies a year read by tweens and grandmothers alike. It sticks the Canadian Linda Evangelista and features other 30 to 40 year old women in their issue encouraging females to be happy with what we've become as the years go by yet also slaps on articles that pressures you to remember to dye your hair when you see a few grey strands, go for lavish pedicures when your feet are cracked and calloused, zap the life out of every vein that emerges after your baby is born, inflate and conceal every wrinkle that doesn't appeal to you and whiten your teeth till you blind the people around you (these were all the articles written in this issue- I'm just listing them). And what Vogue is telling every relatively young female out there is that aging is beautiful as long as you look timeless which they seem to equate as being young. Seriously. And it leaves me feeling disgusted (there's no other word to describe it) yet ever so slightly self conscious.


On the topic of aging, my mom told me this funny story the other day. She is a sunday school teacher at RHCCC and handles the grade one and two kids. A girl told her that she was going to be a flower girl at someones wedding and that it would be her third time as one. My mom said that she had always wanted to be a flower girl when she was young. The boy sitting next to the little girl chimed in,
"You have too many wrinkles to be a flower girl."


OUCH. Lol. My mom retorted, "I said when I was younger Gabriel!"
The little guy, the expert on dermatology then proceeded to advise my mom to not put cream or anything on her face. My mom's reply was that her face would fall off if she didn't.
The boy was left speechless.
Oh kids. They can be so blunt and politically incorrect. And how did that guy ever learn about wrinkles at such a young age.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

4:16 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

6:52 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

5:38 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home