Friday, July 14, 2006

Sidewalk Sale

Yeah... the shopping posts seem to be endless so I'll try not to kill anyone. For all my female friends, if you're interested in some old clothes that I'm planning on giving to Value Village, scroll down and read the lower portion of this entry.
This was my sched today:
-Eye doc appointment
-Waited at grandparent's house while mom swam and had lunch
-Bayview Village with mom
-Promenade with Lois and Tania
-Dinner at home
-Sewing class


Haha. Well all the malls are having major mid summer sales and sidewalk sales (stores place discounted items right outside for people to peruse). I've never really bought anything at these sales due to the crazy female shoppers who act like some kind of militia when it comes to finding a bargain (I saw some drag their boyfriends- felt sorry for them- the guys I mean. haha) and because there was nothing that really appealed to me. But I decided to pick and choose some spots to hit and being more on the expensive side, Bayview Village seemed like a good zone to start at.
Except finding a parking spot was like finding a spot at FMP at lunch hour on Saturdays.
Omg it was insane. My mom was quite annoyed by the time we got in because some guy yelled at her for having her car in the 'middle' of the road (in fact a car already passed by fine- the guy just had sucky driving skills).
And guess who emerged with a ton of bags after our 1.5 hour shopping spree?


My mom.
I bet you guessed me. Anyway, I managed to persuade her to get a pair of brown dress pants ($140) at Talbots, a white summer purse from Nine West ($90) and a white linen blazer from Banana Republic ($100). The first two weren't even on sale- the blazer was a great deal- $300 initially and was dropped $200 down. Dude, who is gonna buy a $300 blazer. It looks great on her. Initially she wanted to get it for me but I didn't love it that much to allow my mom to spend $100 on a blazer. My mom said that if dad asked what happened to his Visa account that she'd blame it on me for persuading her to get the items. -_-. She hardly ever shops though except Eddie Bauer online. She usually just looks at clothes in Talbots wistfully and it kills me because she doesn't buy a single thing but she has this look on her face.... a mixture of disappointment, desire and iono. The only word I can describe it is 'wistful'. But that was quite a ton in one day.
We were at Browns (upscale shoe store) and I saw the Marc Jacobs ballet flat that I've wanted was marked down from $399 to $299. Yeah still too expensive but really pretty to look at. My mom found a pair of brown ballet flats that she liked and they're $140 and a white blouse from Talbots about $130. So this is where my skill becomes handy: her birthday is coming up so I'm recording all that she is and I'll ask my dad to split the cost with me and buy her one or the other. :) We returned to Nine West to see whether my mom wanted to get the purse or not and she was hesistant at first so I offered to buy it for her as an early birthday present but she said it was too much money for me. And I said "yeah..." HAHAHA. My dad's Lacoste polo is the equivalent of me getting a good 25-30 items from Value Village.


After that ordeal, I rushed to Promenade mall to meet up with the Loiser and Tania which was really quiet compared to Bayview. I feel sorry for Lois who found this blazer that complimented her so well but then a sales clerk said it was hers and that it was mistakingly stuck there. BOOO. But Lois makes me laugh all the time- her manner and how she talks and acts without a care in the world. She's so cute.
Overall I emerged extremely victorious and bought items from stores I never used to shop at. One was Mendocino- the overpriced store which USED to have spectacular window displays (they once did a Klimt inspired one with gold chain dripping down and huge skirts with Klimt paintings and it was just astounding. Wish I took a picture of it now). All their clothes are super expensive ($500 summer dress). But as we approached the racks outside, I zeroed in on this two tier green skirt, tried it on and bought it. The original price was $195 marked down to $35. How could I pass a $160 discounted skirt?
And then there was Banana Republic where I found a pair of $19 earrings and while my mom was lining up to pay for her blazer I asked her if "she cared to place my item within the same bill" and she asked me why I didn't just ask her to buy it for me. Haha. I like to keep things creative. ;)
Then there was Urban Behaviour- a really young teen oriented store which I've never shopped at either. Today almost everything was marked down 70%. I ended up with a white cropped blazer and a black wrap dress. I was anticipating and bracing myself for the total amount of my purchase.
"$11.45 please"
WHAT??!?!
So my dress was $4 and my blazer was $7. HAHAHA. I thought they had typed in the codes wrong or just missed an item but I looked at my receipt and it was all correct. Omg. That's amazing. That was the highlight of my day. It was like shopping at Value Village with never used items.


Yeah and sewing was fun- all the girls are really nice and we all help each other. A girl brought in her old sewing machien for me so if I wanted to keep it, I could get it fixed and use it. Ends up it's too old for a beginner because it didn't come with a manual but if you know how to operate it- it's amazing apparently. So I'll give it back to her next week and buy my own. It was a really nice gesture though. I learned how to read and cut patterns today (so difficult) and then learned how to cut fabric straight. You usually rip the fabric and it rips into a straight line but my polyester couldn't do that so in order to find a straight line- guess what we had to do. Cut into the fabric and then pull a couple of threads- keep pulling and pulling and pulling and pulling.... until a line comes out through the entire width of the fabric. IT DROVE ME INSANE. Imagine sitting there pulling at a piece of thread. And it rips. ARGH. Plus I had to learn how to lengthen my pattern because I'm tall- had to lengthen it by 5 inches. Oh yeah, store sizes are never correct. I'm a size 14 according to the pattern. Some girl laughed when I announced it and said it was such a "blow to the ego". Hahaha.. Oh well. So I'm a size 14 technically speaking. Ai yah. Learning all this stuff is a little hard just because I've never done this before and I'm trying to remember everything she says and do it perfectly. I hope I get a hang of this. It's too bad we don't have Home Ech anymore- I did in HK. It's a really useful skill to have to learn how to sew. You can hem and lengthen your own pants, know how to treat different fabrics, make your own clothes and basically save a ton of money.


Oh yeah, another highlight of today was when I was browsing the discounted merch outside Mendochino and one of the salesclerk who was monitoring the stuff said she liked my belt and asked me where I got it. I said 'Value Village' and she saw the tiny 'YSL' on the front and said "Wow Yves Saint Laurent- you're a lucky girl".
Yes I am.
And Tania rolls her eyes at me and sighs.
My mom who overheard asked me how the girl knew and I pointed to the little gold letters. Lol. My mom is so funny.
While walking back to our car (we detoured at Nine West to get the bag first) after I tried on the skirt and bought it she said to me, "You know there are a lot of clothes you usually pick out and I think 'yuck' and then after you try it on they actually look quite nice."
Really? Why thank you mother.



Sam's Sidewalk Sale


So of course with all the stuff that's coming into my closet, I must give away some stuff..... to make more room for new things that is! Joking but not really. So tonight I pulled out all the stuff I haven't worn in a while and tried on everything. Have you heard of a Clothing Swap Party? I've read it in several newspapers and magazines and it's basically a group of ten women (presumably) who bring about 10-20 quality items that they no longer wear and they just swap, hang out, eat and chill. After everyone is satisfied with their semi new items they donate the rest to charity or the Salvation Army. Plus if you give an item to your friend, you can always borrow it from her if the occasion ever rose. I thought that was a great idea but I don't have people to ask. Haha.
So I've come up with another idea.
Because I'd rather see friends/family with my old clothes, I'm going to photograph every item I was initially going to give Value Village and offer it up to anyone to take it from me before I send it to the thrift store. The pile is about a metre high so it'll take a while before I can get everything up. I initially was going to post every picture on blogger but I think it'll crash on me if I do so perhaps I'll just create an album or something. A lot of the stuff is from previous seasons and I'd like to give them new owners. Actually most of the stuff is pre-New York- all casual stuff that I no longer wear like sweaters, and a TON of pants (I was modelling everything to my mom to get her opinion and she couldn't believe how many pairs I have). I don't know if anyone would want this stuff but one person's trash is another person's treasure and I'd like to see these clothes hanging on some bodies again. There's one discretion: if you see an item that you gave me as a present years before, don't take it personally, I'd rather see someone wear it and put it to good use than have it sitting in my closet. I really do appreciate gesture and thought over the actual item.
Yeah so I want all this stuff out of my room.

This is sad. My closet still looks really full. Blame it on Value Village.


Ridiculously beautiful... :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home