Wednesday, July 26, 2006

trinkets

A man is in bondage to whatever he cannot part with that is less than himself.
George MacDonald.


I found out Grace passed her G2 and I said if she passed, I'd get her a Tim Hortons ice cap. When I read it in huge colourful letters on her blog, I felt really happy for her because we were just talking about it the night before her test yet the fleeting thought of "why didn't I pass on my first try" came and went. Oh well.


I've been doing some more cleaning and have unearthed a lot of useless decorative gifts people have given me in the past. And when I mean 'useless' I mean trinkets that are supposed to be hung or suspended and just to be looked at over the purpose of utility. Someone gave me this decorative glittery girl who looks like she's flying and attached to her arms are gold coins, shopping bags, a bag that says "born to shop" and a card that says "charge it". And then there are some people who have given me notebooks which have covers that have glitter on them with red shopping bags and shoes and purses.
Why?
I have no use for these though I appreciate the gesture. Here's the thing, I like buying things but I don't like tween glittery notebooks and things that point to my interest in clothes in some cute, nauseating way. In that case, I like cool designs with stripes and colours and texture.
I think one of the best birthday presents I ever received was a year ago (it was extremely belated) from Julia my dancer/model friend. It was a few weeks before I was about to go to New York and she gave me a ginormous and super heavy bay and inside was a two book set encased in a pink box with the details of a Rococco dress on the front: History of Fashion from the 1800s by one of my favourite publishers: Phaidon. She thought it would be useful for future references at school- more than 200 glossy pages of beautifully photographed historical and conceptual fashion. The reason I loved this present was because every year, she has always given me an IOU or some money so it was really unexpected.
But it wasn't anything covered with glitter or conspicuously has the words "shopping' emblazoned on the front- it was useful and one of the most awesome fashion/clothing related presents I've received.
Now to figure out what today with all these trinkets in my room. I don't want to give them away but I don't want to put them up in my room either.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

5:06 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home