For the Love of Art and Basketball
Firstly, 'The Promise' sucked. I was quite disappointed with it because there really was no coherent storyline. They definitely spent their 35 million on costumes and set and all that digital animation/editing. At times like these, I want to ask the directors, 'what were you thinking?? Can you not see that the foundations of the story suck and that no matter how much you dress it up, it'll still be a piece of junk?'. But I don't regret watching it.
Btw, anyone up to watch Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and Miami Vice with me? I really want to see both: the latter because Colin Farrell is in it. He's so hot!...... just kidding :P. I want to see it because Gong Li is in it. I'm not a Colin Farrell fan. I personally think that Gong Li is better looking than Cecilia- and that's partially because she's already 40 and still looks like a 20 something year old. I'm sound really shallow- this is the shallow side of me. Now onto other things.
I've noticed through watching the Suns vs Mavericks game with Tania and Andrew (ha and I told you they'd win!) and the movie 'The Promise' that my brain is 'wired' completely opposite to Tania, Andrew and Jeff. I really did not have a clue what to appreciate when I was watching those end of the season clips save the passes which I found very slick but I can't fully understand the greatness of a player who dunks on a guy.... personally I wouldn't find it that embarrassing. I don't know. And throughout the game I had no idea what was going on- everything was just too fast and only replays really helped. Oh yeah, and slow-mo. Hhahaha. Even Jeff noticed that when he first came into the living room by saying 'you look so clueless, Sam'. Hahaha... Am I really that easy to read?
What I noticed and liked that I saw while we were watching was when they did the court cuts, was the way they changed the NBA logo into a white scribble gesture drawing rather than the solid logo that we always see. :P Now did you notice that? I thought it was an interesting twist to the typical icon. And yet it surprises me that Andrew cannot fully appreciate the artistry of the card. It is in my nature to then pick apart the entire piece of work by explaining where I got every idea etc but I know it just goes over people's heads and I feel silly for getting so into it. That's why I love taking progress photos of my work to show its development from beginning to end. The final piece of work is important but the journey and the history behind it is equally as important. I love telling people about my stuff but get so intimately attached to it that I get nervous over their thoughts and feelings about it and just am not articulate enough to get my points across. Then again all I sought to achieve was to make it look aesthetically pleasing- which is subjective anyhow. When people ask me whether or not 'that' is artistic, I don't know how to answer because that in itself is subjective. Personally I thought 'Hero' was more artistically pleasing than 'The Promise' (it had some moments and cool ideas like the fans and the throne and the whole revolving gold screens).
Does anything take your breath away? Then that in itself is artistic beauty. If you respond positively to the aesthetics of something, then to me that's 'artistic' or whatever.
However good design is another issue which can be seen with an objective point of view. For one thing the Viva bus ticket screen is way too low for anyone to see. Plus with the sun bouncing off the white pavement makes it hard for people to see with the glare/reflection. That's bad design. You want things at an eyelevel with the majority of the people and I know for a fact that most of us aren't 4 feet tall. I had to bend down and twist my body sideways to order my ticket.
Anyway in the end, I think it all goes back to experiences. Because I've never really played basketball and have not immersed myself in the rules and plays and whatnot, I don't really know what it feels like to make a basket- that satisfaction behind dunking on another person. And they have not really experienced the journey from simple stick figures to elaborate, realistic drawings of nudes to be able to fully appreciate my love and awareness of beauty and artistic abilities. They do not fully understand what it takes to create a concept and the many methods of giving an idea a physical form in order. As my drawing fundamentals teacher said, do what everybody else is not doing. Create concepts that are your own because no one can think exactly like you. It's so true especially in this world of art and design where devotees follow every trend there is out there. Cool is only cool when there is limited access.
Anyway I guess we can all learn from each other and be able to enjoy the uniqueness of each person. I personally was enjoying not only the game but the enthusiasm of the viewers themselves and how they analyze things though I had no clue what they were saying. It was fun.
Btw, anyone up to watch Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and Miami Vice with me? I really want to see both: the latter because Colin Farrell is in it. He's so hot!...... just kidding :P. I want to see it because Gong Li is in it. I'm not a Colin Farrell fan. I personally think that Gong Li is better looking than Cecilia- and that's partially because she's already 40 and still looks like a 20 something year old. I'm sound really shallow- this is the shallow side of me. Now onto other things.
I've noticed through watching the Suns vs Mavericks game with Tania and Andrew (ha and I told you they'd win!) and the movie 'The Promise' that my brain is 'wired' completely opposite to Tania, Andrew and Jeff. I really did not have a clue what to appreciate when I was watching those end of the season clips save the passes which I found very slick but I can't fully understand the greatness of a player who dunks on a guy.... personally I wouldn't find it that embarrassing. I don't know. And throughout the game I had no idea what was going on- everything was just too fast and only replays really helped. Oh yeah, and slow-mo. Hhahaha. Even Jeff noticed that when he first came into the living room by saying 'you look so clueless, Sam'. Hahaha... Am I really that easy to read?
What I noticed and liked that I saw while we were watching was when they did the court cuts, was the way they changed the NBA logo into a white scribble gesture drawing rather than the solid logo that we always see. :P Now did you notice that? I thought it was an interesting twist to the typical icon. And yet it surprises me that Andrew cannot fully appreciate the artistry of the card. It is in my nature to then pick apart the entire piece of work by explaining where I got every idea etc but I know it just goes over people's heads and I feel silly for getting so into it. That's why I love taking progress photos of my work to show its development from beginning to end. The final piece of work is important but the journey and the history behind it is equally as important. I love telling people about my stuff but get so intimately attached to it that I get nervous over their thoughts and feelings about it and just am not articulate enough to get my points across. Then again all I sought to achieve was to make it look aesthetically pleasing- which is subjective anyhow. When people ask me whether or not 'that' is artistic, I don't know how to answer because that in itself is subjective. Personally I thought 'Hero' was more artistically pleasing than 'The Promise' (it had some moments and cool ideas like the fans and the throne and the whole revolving gold screens).
Does anything take your breath away? Then that in itself is artistic beauty. If you respond positively to the aesthetics of something, then to me that's 'artistic' or whatever.
However good design is another issue which can be seen with an objective point of view. For one thing the Viva bus ticket screen is way too low for anyone to see. Plus with the sun bouncing off the white pavement makes it hard for people to see with the glare/reflection. That's bad design. You want things at an eyelevel with the majority of the people and I know for a fact that most of us aren't 4 feet tall. I had to bend down and twist my body sideways to order my ticket.
Anyway in the end, I think it all goes back to experiences. Because I've never really played basketball and have not immersed myself in the rules and plays and whatnot, I don't really know what it feels like to make a basket- that satisfaction behind dunking on another person. And they have not really experienced the journey from simple stick figures to elaborate, realistic drawings of nudes to be able to fully appreciate my love and awareness of beauty and artistic abilities. They do not fully understand what it takes to create a concept and the many methods of giving an idea a physical form in order. As my drawing fundamentals teacher said, do what everybody else is not doing. Create concepts that are your own because no one can think exactly like you. It's so true especially in this world of art and design where devotees follow every trend there is out there. Cool is only cool when there is limited access.
Anyway I guess we can all learn from each other and be able to enjoy the uniqueness of each person. I personally was enjoying not only the game but the enthusiasm of the viewers themselves and how they analyze things though I had no clue what they were saying. It was fun.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home