Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Summer is here.

I've been watching 'The Promise' trailer several times now. It's not even that great compared to the 'Ever After' and 'Tristan and Isolde'. Perhaps it's summer boredom or the music (which isn't really unique either judging by the trailer). It appears to be a total fairytale movie: stylized and more graphic, playing on the classic myth of a princess and three men (a slave, a duke and a general).

I'm finishing up my first summer read 'Wild at Heart' and am on the second last chapter called 'A Beauty to Rescue'. The author John Eldredge wrote about the moment he fell in love with his wife,

The one summer night something shifted. I dropped by to see Stasi; she came sauntering down the hall barefoot, wearing a pair of blue jeans and a white blouse with lace around the collar and the top buttons undone. The sun had lightened her hair and darkened her skin and how is it I neve realized she was the beautiful maiden before?


What did I get from that passage? That no matter how trivial critics say fashion is, it still has a large impact on your impressions of people. You may laugh at me but it's true. For the eyes see before the words are conjured in the mind. We see the print in the book before we are able to comprehend. Then again clothes are clothes- they only carry so much significance in a life: fabric cut into shapes and sewn together. That's all. It is not to say that your self is defined by your appearanc: I am just saying they're another way of expression- an extension of the body and of the skin.


So I guess after first year I shall be taking two people back with me to live in New York: one being my cousin Robyn and the other, Julia my dancer/model friend who is going to attend Purchase- a dance school in White Plains half an hour away from Manhattan.

My days are now filling up for the next week. Here's my sched. I need some visual aid because I'm just automatically booking myself for everything though I can't remember exactly who I booked with. :P
Tomorrow (Thursday): Watching 'Over the Hedge' with Tania and then having dinner at Vanessa's house with the other girls (she's making us dinner. :P We're a bunch of old wives exchanging recipes. Kind of funny).
Friday: Going to a lounge (only requirement: must have great looking interiors for my sake)downtown with all the 19 year olds of the same group (minus sarah her b day december 31st). Perhaps Buda or Ultra Supper Club but I heard it's full of snobs. Bah
Saturday: Julia, Sarah and Vanessa are gonna go biking along the Scarborough Bluff or something but it's three hours long and I have very little endurance in everything besides walking. Wait.... oh yeah I can't go anyway cuz I have that lunch with Mr. Cho and the old gr 12's at Pickle Barrel, Markville Mall and then coming to Robyn's rescue to shop for her purse and shoes for prom. :P
Sunday: Church/baptism/bbq
Tuesday: A Tania/Andrew day of watching 'The Promise', WATCHING them play b ball and watching the phoenix/dallas game. Hm that's a lot of watching for me. haha
Friday: Helping Robyn with her hair and makeup (well my cousin Grace is. I can't do hair and makeup for beans)


And somewhere in between all that, go to Centre Island to bike with Andrew and Tania.
Btw, Sam/ Angie are you up for pad thai next Sunday?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home