Monday, May 22, 2006

Thanksgiving

(Jesus) "Then he said, 'Beware! Don't be greedy for what you don't have. Real life is not measured by how much we own." Luke 12:15


Always a big reality check for me


(Paul)"It is not that we think we can do anything of lasting value by ourselves. Our only power and success come from God." 2 Corinthian 3:5


A constant reminder as I search for the perfect career path.


"The Lord your God will make you successful in everything you do." Deuteronomy 30:9


(Jesus)"For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Mark 8:36


So all my marks have come in. I must say it has been a pretty successful first year:



Persp World Art & Design 2 A-
Critical Reading & Writing 2 A
3D Design 2 A-
2D Design 2 B
Drawing Fundamentals 2 A-
Digital Design 2 A
Laboratory 2 A


I really hate 2D- it's basically painting solid colours and shapes and I can't do that because I was taught to do traditional painting: blending with many colours. I can never make a consistent colour. Sigh. Oh well that's okay. I'm happy with my other marks: three A minuses and three A's. It's so symmetrical. Have you wanted to achieve something so badly? My first experience with that was gr 12 English. To me that was one thing I could compare myself with my other science and math friends: an intersection. But I failed in getting what I wanted. I remember our Drawing Fundamentals Teacher on the last day of class gave us her words of wisdom. One was 'Compare and Despair'- there is always someone better than you. I always compare and it always makes me miserable and insecure. Another is 'do something that you love and not for the money' because if you do something for the money you will never do well as those who have a passion in that profession. And you'd probably end up making less money in the long run. This year the course I really wanted to do well was 3D design because I've always sucked in creating things. I was really afraid for this class. You have no idea what it took me to create that picnic basket. And yet I've surprised myself, proving to myself my ability to cut and work with wood. The one thing I'm really impressed is that I can self teach myself anything by examining every day objects and through practical problem solving. And yet for each project I have despaired and had troubles and God had come through every time. I got my A-. That means the world to me. All that I have done I give back to You. All that has been said and done and achieved have all happened because of Your Grace. I look upon Your great works in awe at its complexity- the intricacy of a leaf and wonder how I could create something even a fraction that beautiful and wonderful. For you are the Creator of this world, the Artist who crafted each of us with a vast imagination and ceaseless creativity. Can you inspire me?


I'm getting into you because you got to me in a way words can't describe. I'm getting into you because I've got to be. You're essential to survive. I'm going to love you with my life. (favourite song from Relient K)


All that has been achieved in my first year at Parsons I give all to God. Coping with living with three roommates who are so vastly different: Allie the amusement of the group who I love taking walks with and watching MTV with, Bonnie the Disney lover and the one with a huge shoe fetish and art perfectionist whose always in heels and Liz the hippie anarchist partyer with a huge cd/record collection. It has been tough sometimes to deal with so many girls in one room but it was rewarding. I miss them. We had many many laughs together talking about the weirdest things (Allie missed her algebra class at 8:30 in the morning because she was so immersed in the conversation the night prior about her bellybutton and how much it smelled. LOL.) or how about exfoliating and Bonnie suggested that Allie rub her arms really hard to get all the disgusting grime off. Allie said "I'm afraid that when I wake up Bonnie would be giving me a rubdown and I'll have pounds and pounds of skin around me." lol. We always make up these imaginary scenarios that wouldn't come true but keep us amused (Liz's coworker to us looked like a rapist and she went out with him one night to a party and still wasn't back by 3am.. we really are mothers... so me and allie called Liz trying to sound all cool and unmotherly like and Allie said "pssst if anything is wrong or if you're getting raped call us back and the secret code for help is Happy Daisy!" LOL. Of course it makes no sense. And then Liz got arrested for something she didnt do and now has to go to court some time... friend threw beer bottles at a club crowd (he was drunk) and police arrested her. Ai yah. Not to mention all the dance parties of one Allie had and playing Canon in D with Liz and a mandolin. Or the many dvds we've watched. Aw.

To explain what had happened the past year of my life- well- I can say I've gone through much- too many stories to recall and retell. Telling you what happened but not experiencing the life is quite different. This life that I have lived so far- the past 18/19 years have been so wonderfully rich, full of texture, culture, colour and people I have crossed paths with. Most people would say they've grown up with childhood friends- I had not. I think about those who I hardly speak to anymore- friends I used to be close with. It's okay, some things are not meant to last forever. It doesn't mean that they are not my friends anymore, we've just drifted. I have friends in Australia, New Zealand, US, Hong Kong, Canada, Japan and England. And I just remembered my pen pal in gr 5- we were paired up with another person from a school in Beijing and we wrote letters to each other. One time my family went to Beijing to visit and we visited her- I think her name was Jenny. And I remember her parents had bought this Barbie doll computer game for Jenny so she could entertain me. I don't think it was the actual game that pleased me but the kind gesture of her parents. I don't think they were wealthy but they gave me a Chinese paper kite of a dragonfly which I still have and some Chinese minority beaded hat. Well I've lost touch with her- silly me to have done so. But they were extremely kind. I wonder what's she's doing now.

Our lives are made up of these little stories- layer upon layer. A multicoloured quilt fabricated from our dearest memories, shattered dreams, nightmares, pleasures and happiness. I've often sifted through these thin sheets- running their papery skins across my fingers- remembering that little golden moment when I sat in my art teacher's studio smelling the baked bread at Subway next door while trying to stay awake to paint in the warm glow of the sun. Sigh. Life is beautiful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home