The Unreasonable Man

THIS is the reason why I was looking for an underwater camera protector for my SLR. Since Alex is looking into it, I'll just steal his equipment. XD I still want a Canon Rebel XT. Hmm.... is that bad? I'm thinking now about the deterimental effects it would have on the environment if I got another SLR. :S
-----------
A long long time ago,
You belonged to me; I belonged to you,
A long, long time ago,
You left me to explore the world out there.
The world out there is so spectacular,
The world out there is so forlorn,
While you're enjoying the world out there,
I'll be here wishing you the best.
Translated from a song in the movie Perhaps Love/Ru Guo Ai- sadly another one of those obscure songs in the middle of a random scene which I want but obviously they don't have. I'm obsessed with it so I just watch this scene over and over. Here's the official soundtrack version but I don't like it since they changed the lyrics and it doesn't have the same reminiscent/ sad quality of the one in the movie. However you can now see some of the pretty scenes with all the good looking movie stars! :P
Why do I always feel like I'm just watching people? At times I feel like I'm banging on the glass and watching people slip away as I helplessly just stare as they fade into the distance.
------
Genesis 22
1 Some time later God tested Abraham. He said to him, "Abraham!"
"Here I am," he replied.
2 Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about."
...
9 When they reached the place God had told him about, Abraham built an altar there and arranged the wood on it. He bound his son Isaac and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. 10 Then he reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. 11 But the angel of the LORD called out to him from heaven, "Abraham! Abraham!"
"Here I am," he replied.
12 "Do not lay a hand on the boy," he said. "Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son."
While the pastor was preaching something very similar to a sermon I heard at Urbana on Abraham and his trust in God to take him to the land of plenty, I zoned out by reading more about him and I landed on this passage.
I don't have any new insight to give pertaining to these verses- all I really wanted to say was that if God ever decided to ask me to do something like that, I don't think I could. For Him to ask of me to sacrifice something I hold most dear, especially something that I've wanted for so long and finally got just as Sarah was able to conceive after many attempts, to give it all back to Him would seem rather... impossible.
For example, if I ever did crack the code to creating a functional boutique that could sustain itself without causing any serious harm to the environment, and if God asked it all back from me two years after its opening, would I do it? Would I give it all back to Him?
Or if I finally got a serious boyfriend, would I give it back to Him?
Honestly, I don't know. On one hand I think I would because I'd be pretty scared of the consequences of not obeying God if He was there with me like He was with Abraham, but on the other hand, I would find it difficult to do so. I guess knowing that He is the giver and provider of all things, He can also take away. Abraham knew it was God who gave him a son, and just as He gave, He could take away.
I wonder what was going through Abraham's head when he tied his son to the altar. I wonder if he cried.
-----
Listening to this after watching 'Across the Universe'. I like it.
A rendition of 'Girl' was beautifully done by the main actor plus he's really cute. :P

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -Bernard Shaw
I want to read this book- it seems to reflect some of my interests as a designer. I just liked that quote in the front flap of the book... yeah I spent about 1.5 hours at Barnes and Nobles looking at books. :S



2 Comments:
whoaaa!! we were reading the same passage yesterday at a seminar at church! when i read it yesterday, i wondered as well if Abram ever doubted doing it. When i read the passage, he seems so un-hesistant to do God's request. this passage was good for me though, trusting God, that's a struggle for me right now (as you read from my last entry) but i'm trying, hey, if Abram can do it...so can i right?? haha =p
buddy. i missed your blog... now i'm back. hahaha.
keep it up.
=)
Post a Comment
<< Home