Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Edward Norton// The Mark of a Parsons Student

Conversations Concerning Edward Norton (because he is one of the coolest- or as Jess says- hottest guys)

Jessica Chen says: Edward Norton is a HOT MAN.
§åM says: HAHAHAHA
Jessica Chen says: I would marry him. like. in three seconds.
§åM says: omg
§åM says: have you seen The Illusionist?
Jessica Chen says: have you seen The Illusionist?
Jessica Chen says: HAHAHAHAHA
Jessica Chen says: I love how we asked the same question the same time.
Jessica Chen says: heck yes.
Jessica Chen says: it was GORGEOUS.
Jessica Chen says: he was so sexy, omg.
Jessica Chen says: I'm actually considering buying that soundtrack, too.
§åM says: HAHAHA'
§åM says: OMG what the frick
§åM says: YEAH
§åM says: Philip Glass baby
Jessica Chen says: okay, now that we have found our mutual love besides Jesus Christ, LOL.
---------------------------------------------------------

You Know You Go to Parsons When...


Me walking to Pastis in the Meatpacking District (trademark cobble stones- hell on the heels)

Sometimes you just gotta laugh at the stuff we do here at Parsons because honestly, for our last Body Garment class, we had brunch at Pastis- this Bohemian cafe in the trendy Meatpacking District (for anyone who actually pays attention, Miranda Priestly, the character from 'The Devil Wears Prada' mentions it). :P We basically had food and my roomie got a $13 mimosa (it was freaking tiny for that small of an alcoholic drink) and had our final critiques there. It was hilarious- all ten of us pretentiously sitting there wtih huge sunglasses on. Everyone was rather dressed up with the Chloe shoes and Louis Vuitton bags. Hilarious- I think of other universities like U of T or Queens or Waterloo... and I cannot imagine another college that would do that.

We also had a critique for our short art videos and our teacher invited our philosophy teacher and the head of our department to come in to give their input on our films. Anyway, we also invited our flamboyantly gay porn star Body Garment teacher to come in... IT WAS THE FUNNIEST CRIT EVER. Have you ever watched three vastly different personalities duel it out? It's hilarious. I felt like us students were spectators of what seemed like a power struggle between the adamant, narrowmindedness of the IDC head who dislikes fashion (at least we get that vibe) and our extremely quiet philosophy teacher who always had nothing to say about our films against our very loud Body Garment teacher who surprised everyone by quoting Tarkovsky.
At the beginning of the third film crit, the IDC head started talking about how she liked the film and then seemed to stop. Our Body Garment teacher decided to take the initiative to start talking when suddenly the IDC head says "excuse me, I'm not done yet" but our Body garment teacher just breezes over her and continues to talk EVEN SLOWER. Omg, you should have seen the darts she was throwing at him with her eyes- she literally looked like she got slapped in the face.
At one point our Body Garment teacher starts talking about some 19th century novelist and the IDC head tries to interrupt him and says "No, that's a play- not a novel" to which our philosophy teacher says "It's a novel." And our Body Garment teacher had this triumphant look on his face like he was thinking "although I'm in fashion, I know things beyond surface"
Frick, we were all laughing our heads off.
Moral of the Story: always have more than one teacher to crit work- it livens things up- especially if its a flamboyant Mr. Clean. LOL


A few of the garments presented today

And finally, today for Draping class we had our final crits on this garment we had to make. It's a very long process. You first design what you want to make and then figure out where all your seams and hems are. Then you take muslin- a thin cotton material used to make prototypes and you drape half of the dress form (because the other half is its mirror image). After fitting it onto the dress form, you have to adjust all the measurements to fit it yourself and then it's transferred onto pattern paper- basically large sheets of paper with numbers on them. After drawing them on paper, they're cut out and put onto the real fabric which is then cut and sewed together. From there you do final adjustments. It takes a hell a lot of time. I think I've spent 25-30 hours on mine although it looks deceptively simple since it falls away from the body.
Anyway, we all had to either put the final piece on our dress forms or wear it to class. So funny. So a few of the more daring, decided to wear our creations to class where we had to present our inspiration and talk about what we had difficulty with etc.
A lady at the department office asked me if I was putting it in 'the line' which I understood as the annual AAS fashion show they have at the end of the year- in which I said no since I wasn't in the AAS department. Anyway, many compliments from random people and a lot of head turning so it's all good. :D As my sewing teacher says, the back of a garment is just as important as the front because you want to leave an unforgettable impression when you leave. LOL.
I want a dress form for my birthday- they cost about $700. Haha.


Presenting my project by showing how the Jedi-esque hood drapes onto the head.

60 slides stand inbetween me and freedom/graduation/turning 20. Die die die!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Chislon said...

I couldn't ever say much about my teachers. All they do is teach. Math and science detach from interesting personalities so much. I wish engineering teachers knew how to liven things up. Heck I don't even think my teachers know who I am. Parsons sounds interesting...

1:32 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

someone's coming back soon!! XD
that dress looks amazing.

10:44 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home