Designer Quotes, The Term: Fashion Icon, Mini Rant, & Xanga
"You can say that designing is quite easy; the difficulty lies in fiding a new way to explore beauty" -Yohji Yamamoto
Yeah that guy is amazing. He once made these dresses that looked as if they were chiseled out of marble. Making what is soft (fabric) appear to be hard (stone). Yeah I'm sorry if it's not really 'wow!' but I think it's really awesome since you have to study folds and the properties of specific cloth to know how to make it resemble marble. I wish I thought of that idea before he did. Dang it. He even showcased them in some museum to give it that 'art atmosphere'.
So I'm reading/flipping through this book that Tanya gave me about different designers and each bio is accompanied by a photograph of the person(s) and a quote.
I was surprised to see the Chloe brand within the pages of this book since most of them seem to be more independent and lesser known than the typical house. Wait, I take that back after flipping through it more. It basically covers all designers. Phoebe Philo, Chloe's former head designer had a quote in the book which made me chortle,
"I'm inspired by sunsets, sunrises, being with horses, and love."
It's just such a girly, typical answer of a female and to imagine this great designer who takes inspiration from these things made me just laugh. It was so down to earth and stereotypically feminine. Geez if I could take inspiration from these things and make it big, wow. :P
Meanings Lost of a 'Fashion Icon'
Being around forums and reading magazines all the time, I've realized the word 'icon' has been used way too loosely and lost its original meaning. And what is the meaning? Er... let me look it up so I don't get misquoted and that we're on the same page.
1)An image; a representation
2)An important and enduring symbol
3)One who is the object of great attention and devotion; an idol
Okay maybe it does apply to the latter meaning but the word 'fashion icon' has been constantly popping up within many devotees who love to tote around the names Kate Moss, Olsen twins, Lindsay Lohan, Nicole Richie and Audrey Hepburn within their group of 'fashion icons'. I find it really silly to have one. Firstly, most people say 'Audrey Hepburn' because she's always been known as the classicist with the black dress and the pearl necklace. Girls just choose her because everyone else does. Nicole Richie and Lindsay Lohan are both dressed by stylists and her name is Rachel Zoe. They just hand out the moolah and pose for cameras.
The word 'icon' is very strong linked to almost looking up to someone like a god- something that endures through time. I think I've tried to come up with someone who I really admire in that sense, but no one really has that lasting impression on me. Or I just get bored with looking at the same person.
Yeah so I've basically concluded the term 'fashion icon' is stupid.
(I know, great conclusion :P)
Lending Things
I'm getting kind of annoyed at certain people who owe me things or who have borrowed things and I'm really tired of asking people to get back to me. I have a load on my mind with moving back to NY and I really do not like having to remember these things because I know I'll eventually forget until one day I start panicking because I 'lost' something. ARGH. Be responsible. I don't want to chase people for my own things. KEY... my freaking KEY.
Sam is done her mini rant.
Yeah so my roomie forgot her key back in LA so she got a locksmith to change our apartment lock. Now I can't get in with any of my keys (not like anyone has given them back to me. Thanks a lot) so my roomie has to wait for me when I get back to the apartment. Sigh. And it cost her $250. Yikes.
Xanga
I never really understood why Xanga was so great and how it differed from blogspot.. Since I got it a few weeks ago to comment on people's blogs, I realized how messed up it is. I didn't get why there were 'comments' and another category called 'eprops'. What are eprops? I had no idea until I got it and realized you could 'rate' how much you loved/liked/hated the person's post. So one day I was here on my laptop about to comment on someone's blog and faced with the dilemma on how many eprops to give. And a feeling of guilt washed over me- who am I to say how wonderful or badly written your post is? And I think that is absolutely retarded. See if I started blogging on Xanga, I probably get a little obsessed over how many points people gave me for my depth in my posts. And I don't really want to care how deep you think I am because who are you to say how great my posts are anyway? When Kitty helped me set up my comments section within my blog, I hesitated to put it up because I knew if I did, I'd get a little anxious whether or not people would comment because I know myself, I like fishing for compliments at times. And I don't want to do that. I don't want to be constantly checking to scroll to the bottom of each entry to see if anyone wanted to give me a word of appreciation. While comments are focused on certain entries, a tagboard allows a whole mosh pit of random blurbs and greetings from people passing by.
I just like how blogspot is so free with links, friends and comments. I like it that I can link anyone to my site- it doesnt necessarily have to be from other fellow blogspot bloggers whereas Xanga is only for Xangers and only they can comment which really annoys me.
I gave up on linking friends really. I don't like this idea of friending friends like how Facebook does it because it ends up to be a popularity contest or some people tell me, "Sam get Facebook! I want to show people I have a Parsons friend!" Yeah... also a lot of people switch from blog to blog because of personal reasons or just because they've stopped writing in their old one so they want to start afresh. I got tired of trying to find people's links and I've also drifted from many others.
What the crap.. you can 'subscribe' to people's Xanga sites? I'm convinced that Xanga is just trying to inflate blogger's egos.
Yeah so how many Eprops will you give me on this entry?
I've always liked the book Captivating. It made me feel like what I said and thought was not cheesy but a state of mind, depth and emotion set within me by God Himself.
Yeah that guy is amazing. He once made these dresses that looked as if they were chiseled out of marble. Making what is soft (fabric) appear to be hard (stone). Yeah I'm sorry if it's not really 'wow!' but I think it's really awesome since you have to study folds and the properties of specific cloth to know how to make it resemble marble. I wish I thought of that idea before he did. Dang it. He even showcased them in some museum to give it that 'art atmosphere'.
So I'm reading/flipping through this book that Tanya gave me about different designers and each bio is accompanied by a photograph of the person(s) and a quote.
I was surprised to see the Chloe brand within the pages of this book since most of them seem to be more independent and lesser known than the typical house. Wait, I take that back after flipping through it more. It basically covers all designers. Phoebe Philo, Chloe's former head designer had a quote in the book which made me chortle,
"I'm inspired by sunsets, sunrises, being with horses, and love."
It's just such a girly, typical answer of a female and to imagine this great designer who takes inspiration from these things made me just laugh. It was so down to earth and stereotypically feminine. Geez if I could take inspiration from these things and make it big, wow. :P
Meanings Lost of a 'Fashion Icon'
Being around forums and reading magazines all the time, I've realized the word 'icon' has been used way too loosely and lost its original meaning. And what is the meaning? Er... let me look it up so I don't get misquoted and that we're on the same page.
1)An image; a representation
2)An important and enduring symbol
3)One who is the object of great attention and devotion; an idol
Okay maybe it does apply to the latter meaning but the word 'fashion icon' has been constantly popping up within many devotees who love to tote around the names Kate Moss, Olsen twins, Lindsay Lohan, Nicole Richie and Audrey Hepburn within their group of 'fashion icons'. I find it really silly to have one. Firstly, most people say 'Audrey Hepburn' because she's always been known as the classicist with the black dress and the pearl necklace. Girls just choose her because everyone else does. Nicole Richie and Lindsay Lohan are both dressed by stylists and her name is Rachel Zoe. They just hand out the moolah and pose for cameras.
The word 'icon' is very strong linked to almost looking up to someone like a god- something that endures through time. I think I've tried to come up with someone who I really admire in that sense, but no one really has that lasting impression on me. Or I just get bored with looking at the same person.
Yeah so I've basically concluded the term 'fashion icon' is stupid.
(I know, great conclusion :P)
Lending Things
I'm getting kind of annoyed at certain people who owe me things or who have borrowed things and I'm really tired of asking people to get back to me. I have a load on my mind with moving back to NY and I really do not like having to remember these things because I know I'll eventually forget until one day I start panicking because I 'lost' something. ARGH. Be responsible. I don't want to chase people for my own things. KEY... my freaking KEY.
Sam is done her mini rant.
Yeah so my roomie forgot her key back in LA so she got a locksmith to change our apartment lock. Now I can't get in with any of my keys (not like anyone has given them back to me. Thanks a lot) so my roomie has to wait for me when I get back to the apartment. Sigh. And it cost her $250. Yikes.
Xanga
I never really understood why Xanga was so great and how it differed from blogspot.. Since I got it a few weeks ago to comment on people's blogs, I realized how messed up it is. I didn't get why there were 'comments' and another category called 'eprops'. What are eprops? I had no idea until I got it and realized you could 'rate' how much you loved/liked/hated the person's post. So one day I was here on my laptop about to comment on someone's blog and faced with the dilemma on how many eprops to give. And a feeling of guilt washed over me- who am I to say how wonderful or badly written your post is? And I think that is absolutely retarded. See if I started blogging on Xanga, I probably get a little obsessed over how many points people gave me for my depth in my posts. And I don't really want to care how deep you think I am because who are you to say how great my posts are anyway? When Kitty helped me set up my comments section within my blog, I hesitated to put it up because I knew if I did, I'd get a little anxious whether or not people would comment because I know myself, I like fishing for compliments at times. And I don't want to do that. I don't want to be constantly checking to scroll to the bottom of each entry to see if anyone wanted to give me a word of appreciation. While comments are focused on certain entries, a tagboard allows a whole mosh pit of random blurbs and greetings from people passing by.
I just like how blogspot is so free with links, friends and comments. I like it that I can link anyone to my site- it doesnt necessarily have to be from other fellow blogspot bloggers whereas Xanga is only for Xangers and only they can comment which really annoys me.
I gave up on linking friends really. I don't like this idea of friending friends like how Facebook does it because it ends up to be a popularity contest or some people tell me, "Sam get Facebook! I want to show people I have a Parsons friend!" Yeah... also a lot of people switch from blog to blog because of personal reasons or just because they've stopped writing in their old one so they want to start afresh. I got tired of trying to find people's links and I've also drifted from many others.
What the crap.. you can 'subscribe' to people's Xanga sites? I'm convinced that Xanga is just trying to inflate blogger's egos.
Yeah so how many Eprops will you give me on this entry?
I've always liked the book Captivating. It made me feel like what I said and thought was not cheesy but a state of mind, depth and emotion set within me by God Himself.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home