Monday, February 21, 2005

'I sit alone in the dark theatre watchin' the people go by hand in hand everybody but me.'

Love is in the air... love is in the air... While listening to the Delilah show in 97.3 (yay! the parentals radio station! lol) and hearing guys oogle over their fiancees and how they'd love to spend the rest of their lives and how they've finally found their soulmate... it's becoming increasingly difficult for a single girl/female/woman/person to remain proud of her independency, youth and freedom when everyone around her is telling her stories of love and their 'other halves'. In a world saturated in bridal magazines and online dating services, insisting that being single is passe (even this article I was reading was talking about designers pairing up to whip up new items. Since Sex and the City has ended, being single is out). Do we really need to know how 'incomplete' we are? Do we really need girls sashaying down the cobbled streets toying their boyfriends at hand with a dozen of pristine carrier bags like they've just gone on a shopping spree without touching their own wallets? It gets frustrating. You dont' want to feel like you're all alone but you can't help it because of everything around you that insists that your life would be fulfilled when you find that 'special someone' (ew the cliches!). It makes you wonder if you'll ever find that somebody. I don't care that I'm not in love yet, just that I don't like how everyone is being all lovey dovey and saying how wonderful romance is. Sappy love songs don't help at all. Oh I'm such a bitter, cynical Bridget Jones (before she gets Colin Firth that is. At least I'm twice as young as her) Lol. Give it all to God, give it all to God.. Well I have but still that time comes once in a while where you question His perfect will and what he has in store for you. Sometimes you wish that you could peek into the future to assure present self that these worries are just fruitless.... I think it's time for a little indulgence with a couple of girlfriends to rid myself of all these anxieties. Nothing like a little shirt or a pair of earrings to ease the pangs. Then again, I'd like to pop over to the vintage store to get a sweet sundress... hm... LOL. This is what I call Shopaholic Therapy. It's good for me, I swear! ;)

Today on the bus, our little clique (ew) of AY art visuals gathered around several seats and basically talked about guys, prom, and..... guys. LOL. It was interesting because most of them are attracted to guys who are four to five years older.... so that's like fourth year university. We concluded the obvious: that the maturity level of guys in university appeal to those of girls around my age. Yes so if you're a 17 year old guy, take my advice, act like a university student. HAHA. Seems like everyone is chasing someone save myself. They asked me today whether or not I'd go out with a guy shorter than me or a guy who's not Asian. Sure I guess just as long as he's Christian. They say it's hard for Amy and I to find someone because we're relatively taller. Which reminds me of an incident that occured the other day.
My mom had to get that disgusting black syrup medicine for my cold so we went to her usual chinese herb place to buy it. The lady told my mom I was (directly translated) "tall enough to date" (lol.. I was thinking what the heck is she talking about...You have to be a certain height to go out? She later told me that means I'm old enough.. puahaha. She also called me a 'ming sing' [does that mean movie star?] and said I must've been born here cuz I have the 'look' of a North American chinese as opposed to an HK one. LOL. They also call you 'leng lui' but I have this negative image in my mind considering salespeople used to call me that just to sell me stuff... even the old woman with stacks of toilet paper on the street.. lol. so funny). Yeah.. and another thing... My mom meets this lady at the restaurant we were eating at and she finds out I'm entering university this coming year. The first thing she asks me is "Did you apply to Queens?" which puzzled me because the normal question would've been "what universities did you apply for?". I found it quite... not exactly insulting but kinda provoked almost? Because I don't like the fact that I've assumed this identity of an Asian left brained person who's going to life science or business or political science. It's always in the mindset of an Asian, that the road to success is through the 'brainy' careers. It makes me annoyed to find people thinking I have the easy way out because I'm taking art. It makes me even more annoyed when people take art to get the high marks or because it's a bird course. Perhaps I'm not doing homework at the moment but it doesn't mean I've temporarily pushed my work aside. The mind is always at work, trying to figure out how to express ideas and compositions so they in key with each other and balanced. In a way you could say art is superior to science (ah don't kill me!) because in being a family doctor or a nurse or whatever.. you are just following procedures whereas the designer/artist must seek new ideas and always have the mindset of tomorrow. Art contradicts itself all the time, worshiping one idea then snubbing it as childish the next. To be a designer is to be on top of things, knowing what the trends are and how to make these trends something unique and different from the rest. Ergh.. I don't think I'll be an interior designer for long. Hahaha.. I went off topic. That's all for today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home