Love is Patient// God is [insert adjective]
We were bored and already wasted the entire day procrastinating so ended up dabbling in makeup and photography:

Marilyn Monroe makeup according to a makeup artistry book my roommate received as a gift a year ago. Close up shot.

Can't see the makeup well here but she looks like she is crying glitter. This shot was just for jokes because we wanted to get her Hello Kitty ear muffs into the picture. It possesses rather cool undertones compared to the first. (reminds me of winter!)
I'm done Isaiah! I highly recommend you all to read it. It's so good. Hm now what shall I read nexttttt.
I was sitting in class today and it occured to me that although I never asked for one, God gave me an accountability partner. God often gives even when we don't ask because of His infinite grace and goodness.
Praise God, because every time I come to a realization or learn something from the Bible and blogged it, I get some confirmation through peers, pastors or sermons! So weird:
-I mentioned how I felt more like the Prodigal Son having chased meaningless things and then bam, CBC's sermon was on the Prodigal Son the week after (well it was very loose but I rest my case).
-During CBC worship, worship leader quotes from Psalms 139 that I've been quoting a lot these days partially because my mom made me memorize the entire chapter when I was a kid: Search me O Lord, and know my heart. Test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way everlasting.
-At SALT we talked about being the confrontational one- the person who speaks in love and truth despite how others may see us. And I can say that I responded clearly from experience with the awkward examples given that day.
-I listened to a Mark Driscoll sermon on 1 Peter last night which confirmed everything I wrote about in my testimony (putting hope in others):
http://www.marshillchurch.org/media/trial/temptation-from-sin
-I was having dinner with a friend a week ago after we both got back from Christmas break and I found out we both went through similar struggles and realizations with our relationships with our home church. We both had a 'what can I get out of it' mentality. She realized that although her church was going through a lot of political issues, it was a church that really nurtured her as a Christian when she was growing up there thus she should be committed to it despite all its struggles.
-At Remnant, the sermon dealt with how we often fail to worship God because of His beauty, rather, we pray in order to get something out of Him. And that's what I wrote about in my previous blog entry.
Is that not weird?!?! I find it extremely odd but encouraging at the same time. To know that what I'm learning is truly from God.
---------------------------------------------
I'm afraid.
I'm in a constant struggle to find a balance between God and people.
People disappoint. I know that.
Two people flaked on me yesterday. They sent me text messages saying they couldn't do it- I tried to internalize the hurt. Correction I tried to just brush it off yet I couldn't help feeling a little hurt and disappointed.
My accountability partner flaked on me twice- the first time was not her fault, the second time got under my skin.
The New York life exposes many sins in a person's life.
There are over 5000 restaurants here. Millions of people here. There is no tax on clothes under $110.
It is hard to see God among all this. Walk down the street, you pass at least four restaurants trying to court you with the fragrance of meat softly sizzling on the hot grill. Take heart, it is very unlikely to get raped or mugged because people are constantly around you- oh the choice of friends is endless. Walk down the other way, boutiques are having 'recession sales'- pass by the attractive window displays with promises of attainable beauty fitted on to mannequins.
To see God in New York City is difficult. For those who seek God in His creation, well, is pretty much impossible here in the land of the concrete jungle.
At times, I struggle with answering loneliness with God. In my head I know that friends will not fill that void but they're the quick fix to those pangs. It's rare to see me not socializing with someone.
Why does it bother me so, that people flake?
I don't know.
But I think one thing God has made me come to realize is that I need to learn patience. To love is to be patient. And that is the one thing I find the most difficult about loving others because I am a New Yorker and I'm Chinese and I'm in fashion design. There's a triple whammy for you: I grew up eating ten minute family dinners, grew up in Hong Kong where people at McD's had strategies of how to get a seat before anyone else (stand next to a table who is almost done eating and make them feel so awkward that they leave fast). Fashion never stops to give trends a chance to turn into classics nor do the people in the 'city that never sleeps' actually sleep.
It pisses me off when people walk really slow and block my way. I can't stop to smell the roses because there aren't any in New York- I will slow down, however, to look at the new window displays at Diesel and Anthropologie.
We grew up in a world of Instant Messenger, frozen tv dinners and pre-cut broccoli (honestly the extra step of cutting off the stalks is not that big of a deal).
Yet the first thing Paul says about love is that it is patient.
1 Timothy
15Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. 16But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life.
I need patience like that.
And if God was to rate my patience, I'd most likely fail. I can't learn languages well because I'm too impatient. I expect instant results. If people fail me, I don't give them second chances with the same trust that God gives us. Instead of being patient and forgiving, I get pissed.
So God, please teach me to learn to be patient. The crappiest, hardest lesson ever because it probably means I have to wait for the answer. lol.
-----------------------------------------------
God is [insert adjective]
It's hard not to get cynical, sarcastic or bitter.
Complaining is easy.
While we relish the sarcasm of others, we complain to bounce the responsibility off of ourselves. Sarcasm is contagious. When one person is dissatisfied, everyone ought to have the same problem too.
I was reminded of this during the Mark Driscoll sermon where he offhandedly spoke of the Israelites coming out of Egypt romanticizing their past as slaves.
It would be so much easier to become cynical in hopes of finding someone to prove us wrong.
Oh where is our child-like faith?
Cynicism: An attitude of scornful or jaded negativity, especially a general distrust of the integrity or professed motives of others
Sarcasm: harsh or bitter derision or irony
Bitterness: resentful or cynical
But cynicism, bitterness and sarcasm inhibits us from really seeing God in all His majesty. When was the last time you praised God because He is God?
I want to be able to see glimpse of His glory so that I, too, like Isaiah can be in awe of who He is.
Because I feel like I've lost that perception of God-
God who is King
For the Lord is our judge, the Lord is our lawgiver, the Lord is our King. It is he who will save us Isaiah 33:22
I am the Lord, your Holy One, Israel's Creator, your King Isaiah 43:15
This is what the Lord says- Israel's King and Redeemer, the Lord Almighty Isaiah 44:6
who is Saviour
But Israel will be saved by the Lord with an everlasting salvation, you will never be put to shame or disgraced, to ages everlastingIsaiah 45:17
The Lord will save me, and we wil lsing with stringed instruments... Isaiah 38:20
I, even I, am the Lord, and apart from me there is no saviour. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed, I , and not some foreign god among you. Isaiah 43: 11-12
who is Ruler- Maker of all the heavens and the earth,
I am he; I am the first and I am the last. My own hand laid the foundations of the earth, and my right hand spread out the heavens when I summon them, they all stand up together. Isaiah 48:13
Let the earth open wide, let salvation spring up, let righteousness flourish with it; I, the Lord, have created it. Isaiah 45:8
for this is what the Lord says- he who created the heavens- he is God; he who fashioned and made the earth, he founded it Isaiah 45:18
I, even I, am he who comforts you. Who are you that you fear mere mortals, human beings, who are but grass, that you forget the Lord your Maker who stretched out the heavens and laid the foundations of the earth that you live in constant terror every day... Isaiah 51: 12-13
who is Holy
"This is what the Lord says- the Holy One of Israel, and its Maker Isaiah 45:11
This is what the Lord says- your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel. Isaiah 48:17
who is Sovereign.
See, the Sovereign Lord come with power, and his arm rules for him. Isaiah 40:10
For your Maker is your husband- the Lord Almighty is his name- the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer and he is called the God of all the earth Isaiah 54:5
who is Infinite
Who can fathom the Spirit of the Lord, or instruct the Lord as his counselor?Isaiah 40:13
He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. Isaiah 40:28
I, the Lord- with the first of them and with the last- I am he.Isaiah 41:4The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. Isaiah 40:28
If I could see God the way Isaiah does- THAT WOULD BE SO AMAZING. Because I admit, I have compartmentalized God into something small and 'bite size'. I don't see God as He so declares Himself to be. So help me God to see Your beauty.
In the meanwhile, this song from Slum Dog Millionaire is so soothing:
Latika's Theme
Marilyn Monroe makeup according to a makeup artistry book my roommate received as a gift a year ago. Close up shot.
Can't see the makeup well here but she looks like she is crying glitter. This shot was just for jokes because we wanted to get her Hello Kitty ear muffs into the picture. It possesses rather cool undertones compared to the first. (reminds me of winter!)
I'm done Isaiah! I highly recommend you all to read it. It's so good. Hm now what shall I read nexttttt.
I was sitting in class today and it occured to me that although I never asked for one, God gave me an accountability partner. God often gives even when we don't ask because of His infinite grace and goodness.
Praise God, because every time I come to a realization or learn something from the Bible and blogged it, I get some confirmation through peers, pastors or sermons! So weird:
-I mentioned how I felt more like the Prodigal Son having chased meaningless things and then bam, CBC's sermon was on the Prodigal Son the week after (well it was very loose but I rest my case).
-During CBC worship, worship leader quotes from Psalms 139 that I've been quoting a lot these days partially because my mom made me memorize the entire chapter when I was a kid: Search me O Lord, and know my heart. Test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way everlasting.
-At SALT we talked about being the confrontational one- the person who speaks in love and truth despite how others may see us. And I can say that I responded clearly from experience with the awkward examples given that day.
-I listened to a Mark Driscoll sermon on 1 Peter last night which confirmed everything I wrote about in my testimony (putting hope in others):
http://www.marshillchurch.org/media/trial/temptation-from-sin
-I was having dinner with a friend a week ago after we both got back from Christmas break and I found out we both went through similar struggles and realizations with our relationships with our home church. We both had a 'what can I get out of it' mentality. She realized that although her church was going through a lot of political issues, it was a church that really nurtured her as a Christian when she was growing up there thus she should be committed to it despite all its struggles.
-At Remnant, the sermon dealt with how we often fail to worship God because of His beauty, rather, we pray in order to get something out of Him. And that's what I wrote about in my previous blog entry.
Is that not weird?!?! I find it extremely odd but encouraging at the same time. To know that what I'm learning is truly from God.
---------------------------------------------
I'm afraid.
I'm in a constant struggle to find a balance between God and people.
People disappoint. I know that.
Two people flaked on me yesterday. They sent me text messages saying they couldn't do it- I tried to internalize the hurt. Correction I tried to just brush it off yet I couldn't help feeling a little hurt and disappointed.
My accountability partner flaked on me twice- the first time was not her fault, the second time got under my skin.
The New York life exposes many sins in a person's life.
There are over 5000 restaurants here. Millions of people here. There is no tax on clothes under $110.
It is hard to see God among all this. Walk down the street, you pass at least four restaurants trying to court you with the fragrance of meat softly sizzling on the hot grill. Take heart, it is very unlikely to get raped or mugged because people are constantly around you- oh the choice of friends is endless. Walk down the other way, boutiques are having 'recession sales'- pass by the attractive window displays with promises of attainable beauty fitted on to mannequins.
To see God in New York City is difficult. For those who seek God in His creation, well, is pretty much impossible here in the land of the concrete jungle.
At times, I struggle with answering loneliness with God. In my head I know that friends will not fill that void but they're the quick fix to those pangs. It's rare to see me not socializing with someone.
Why does it bother me so, that people flake?
I don't know.
But I think one thing God has made me come to realize is that I need to learn patience. To love is to be patient. And that is the one thing I find the most difficult about loving others because I am a New Yorker and I'm Chinese and I'm in fashion design. There's a triple whammy for you: I grew up eating ten minute family dinners, grew up in Hong Kong where people at McD's had strategies of how to get a seat before anyone else (stand next to a table who is almost done eating and make them feel so awkward that they leave fast). Fashion never stops to give trends a chance to turn into classics nor do the people in the 'city that never sleeps' actually sleep.
It pisses me off when people walk really slow and block my way. I can't stop to smell the roses because there aren't any in New York- I will slow down, however, to look at the new window displays at Diesel and Anthropologie.
We grew up in a world of Instant Messenger, frozen tv dinners and pre-cut broccoli (honestly the extra step of cutting off the stalks is not that big of a deal).
Yet the first thing Paul says about love is that it is patient.
1 Timothy
15Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. 16But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life.
I need patience like that.
And if God was to rate my patience, I'd most likely fail. I can't learn languages well because I'm too impatient. I expect instant results. If people fail me, I don't give them second chances with the same trust that God gives us. Instead of being patient and forgiving, I get pissed.
So God, please teach me to learn to be patient. The crappiest, hardest lesson ever because it probably means I have to wait for the answer. lol.
-----------------------------------------------
God is [insert adjective]
It's hard not to get cynical, sarcastic or bitter.
Complaining is easy.
While we relish the sarcasm of others, we complain to bounce the responsibility off of ourselves. Sarcasm is contagious. When one person is dissatisfied, everyone ought to have the same problem too.
I was reminded of this during the Mark Driscoll sermon where he offhandedly spoke of the Israelites coming out of Egypt romanticizing their past as slaves.
It would be so much easier to become cynical in hopes of finding someone to prove us wrong.
Oh where is our child-like faith?
Cynicism: An attitude of scornful or jaded negativity, especially a general distrust of the integrity or professed motives of others
Sarcasm: harsh or bitter derision or irony
Bitterness: resentful or cynical
But cynicism, bitterness and sarcasm inhibits us from really seeing God in all His majesty. When was the last time you praised God because He is God?
I want to be able to see glimpse of His glory so that I, too, like Isaiah can be in awe of who He is.
Because I feel like I've lost that perception of God-
God who is King
For the Lord is our judge, the Lord is our lawgiver, the Lord is our King. It is he who will save us Isaiah 33:22
I am the Lord, your Holy One, Israel's Creator, your King Isaiah 43:15
This is what the Lord says- Israel's King and Redeemer, the Lord Almighty Isaiah 44:6
who is Saviour
But Israel will be saved by the Lord with an everlasting salvation, you will never be put to shame or disgraced, to ages everlastingIsaiah 45:17
The Lord will save me, and we wil lsing with stringed instruments... Isaiah 38:20
I, even I, am the Lord, and apart from me there is no saviour. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed, I , and not some foreign god among you. Isaiah 43: 11-12
who is Ruler- Maker of all the heavens and the earth,
I am he; I am the first and I am the last. My own hand laid the foundations of the earth, and my right hand spread out the heavens when I summon them, they all stand up together. Isaiah 48:13
Let the earth open wide, let salvation spring up, let righteousness flourish with it; I, the Lord, have created it. Isaiah 45:8
for this is what the Lord says- he who created the heavens- he is God; he who fashioned and made the earth, he founded it Isaiah 45:18
I, even I, am he who comforts you. Who are you that you fear mere mortals, human beings, who are but grass, that you forget the Lord your Maker who stretched out the heavens and laid the foundations of the earth that you live in constant terror every day... Isaiah 51: 12-13
who is Holy
"This is what the Lord says- the Holy One of Israel, and its Maker Isaiah 45:11
This is what the Lord says- your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel. Isaiah 48:17
who is Sovereign.
See, the Sovereign Lord come with power, and his arm rules for him. Isaiah 40:10
For your Maker is your husband- the Lord Almighty is his name- the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer and he is called the God of all the earth Isaiah 54:5
who is Infinite
Who can fathom the Spirit of the Lord, or instruct the Lord as his counselor?Isaiah 40:13
He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. Isaiah 40:28
I, the Lord- with the first of them and with the last- I am he.Isaiah 41:4The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. Isaiah 40:28
If I could see God the way Isaiah does- THAT WOULD BE SO AMAZING. Because I admit, I have compartmentalized God into something small and 'bite size'. I don't see God as He so declares Himself to be. So help me God to see Your beauty.
In the meanwhile, this song from Slum Dog Millionaire is so soothing:
Latika's Theme



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home