Love is in the Air/ Swimsuit Season
L'Oreal Fashion Week--> Evan and Dean
So Rin and I went to L'Oreal Fashion week the day I arrived back from Western in Toronto. It was quite disappointing in terms of the clothes shown (figures): boring, little drama and not anything I'd really wear. Oh well we got in free so I can't complain.
------------------------------------------------------
Love is in the Air
No not for me. :P As many of you know, someone is getting married hopefully next year. Being the nosy designer I am, I offered my knowledge on skills/services/advice pertaining to wedding dress decisions. Now there is the possibility of me designing and creating this gown but that's to be decided still. Nevertheless I've already started dreaming up the sumptuous fabrics and silhouettes that are available at my disposal. I've already started looking at wedding magazines far faster than the bride-to-be. I just bought my first bridal magazine today. I know I'm crazy. And when I showed it to Robyn since she's in town, she freaked out at me. Yes, I got engaged during Spring break.... jk.
But I love event planning, the wedding garment stuff and all that jazz. I used to want to be a wedding planner because I just wanted to design experiences and create atmospheres. There's nothing I love more than a beautiful setting, good friends, good food and good conversation. If you asked me to define what luxury is that would be it. I don't think a Louis Vuitton as luxury- that's only the perceived value of the marketing companies and the consumers.
After freshmen year of being in New York and the realization during that summer retreat I was consuming to fill that emptiness of having no church friends, I've slowly gotten myself out of that shopaholic syndrome and channel all that energy into relationships. You know that's an actual addiction like gambling or alcoholism? I think I have it in a very minor form- I don't buy out of necessity that's for sure. I think after going through two years of college has made me realize how great my material intensity is and that half the stuff I own, I don't love anyway.
Ok back to weddings.
I'm already looking at style.com for inspiration and I love this (even the boys agree with me for once!):

Elie Saab, Spring Couture 2008
I love this designer's stuff. Click the link to see some of the most showstopping dresses ever. I remember I first saw his work back in gr11 and fell gobsmacked at his ability to weld the sensuality and ethereal effect that women want with the sex appeal that men love. I remember wondering if I could get one for my prom not knowing at the time it would probably cost $100,000. Anyway.
So I've been on Cloud 9 the past few days dreaming up different designs for wedding dresses. I feel like I'm experiencing my own pre-wedding plans at twenty years old as I leaf through bridal magazines. Even if she ends up getting a store bought dress or some Ryerson kid to do it, I just love doing this stuff anyway. If you told a singer that she got booted off American Idol, she'd keep on singing because she loves it. To me this isn't really 'work'- because first and foremost, I love fashion. And because I love fashion I feel the burden to somehow redesign the system of production. But it can get really tiresome and heavy at times so this wedding idea is really refreshing because the wedding dress is a symbol of love and commitment. Plus it's totally frivolous, wickedly self indulgent and deliciously fun.
Obviously having immersed myself in wedding paraphernelia has gotten me thinking of my own 'ideal' wedding. I've written about this before about a year and a half ago. In the ideal world, my wedding ceremony would be here:

Experiencing love and God's beauty in nature rolled into one? Simply divine. Plus you could keep minimal decoration because it's all provided for you, complimentary services thanks to the Creator.
And the reception, would be here:

When I first saw this castle, the Vaux le Vicomte, during a lecture I fell in love with it instantly. When I visited it this past summer, it was even more ridiculously stunning than the pictures. When you first enter, you see nothing of the castle save a endless dirt road of tall oak trees. The gardens at the back are stunning and immaculate. I found out Eva Longoria and Tony Parker got married here. Hmph. They stole my idea! XD
Of course in the ideal world I'd need to find some way to cart all my guests from one place to another.. there's also time difference to take into consideration: Japan to France. lol. But in the ideal world, we'd probably teleport thanks to Star Trek technology. :P
And in my ideal world my wedding day will be sunny so there wouldn't be any issues with rain or whatever. lol.
Swimsuit Season

My new favourite fashion photographer from the 1950's: Henry Clark. I love this candid picture- lovely angle and the subject matter looks great. :D
It's swimsuit season!
A male friend said to me, "already?"
I even checked vogue today and they had two pages of different swimsuits.
Anyway, I blame this interest in swimsuits on a friend who was talking about going to the Bahamas the other day. And I just remembered that I'll be living in a tropical city this summer so it'd be nice to find a swimsuit that hasn't been eaten alive by the chlorine monsters.
And I love this- usually I dislike Juicy couture but their swimsuits remind me of a modern spinoff of the 50's suits like the one shot by Henry Clark (above photo):
PRETTY. Too bad there's only one colour. And too bad it's so expensive. BOOOOO cuz me like it! XD



1 Comments:
I swear... sometimes you have too much time on your hands XP
Post a Comment
<< Home