Fantasy Meets Reality
Heaven is a reality that we have created a fantasy out of.
I just finished watching 'The Hills' on MTV. For all you Canadians out there (haha. My roomie and I are MTV junkies- well I don't watch it anymore. It's only fun with someone who you can commentate with) 'The Hills' is basically your reality tv version of the OC where cameras follow a girl called Lauren also known as 'LC'.. and we get to see what she does every day (oh did I mention she's also very rich and has very rich friends and they do nothing except sunbathe and live on Laguna Beach? That was the name of the prequel: Laguna Beach now playing on MTV Canada at a tv near you. 'The Hills' is the sequel). Anyway, in the sequel, we get to see her go to university (LA school of fashion and merchandise- some nobody school..hehehe... ) and so far she has got this huge duplex apartment complete with a winding staircase and a pool (duh). She also gets an internship at Teen Vogue and what does she do?? She goes to celebrity/promotion parties and takes photos of the models for future fashion shows and attends the shows... what is this??
But perhaps you don't know why I'm throwing such a hissy fit. It's actually because this so-called reality show was literally created by someone. She's breezing through life with her money and MTV fame. Look, I go to Parsons School of design and stay at home doing work every night while I see working on her suntan by the pool (where is her picnic basket?? I wonder if she can make a paper shoe that can withstand her weight without using tape or glue.. hahaha). And as far as internships are concerned, I have friends who worked at Ralph Lauren and did nothing but dumb presentation boards with fabric swatches and tedious crap that no one wants to do or run errands around the city for a couture designer. Geez. That's partially why I didn't want an internship this year: I don't want to be doing useless things like fetching coffee or finding the right colour match for the fabric. You dont go to shows and do all the fancy glitzy stuff they had her do. Yet little girls buy it up and say "I want a Teen vogue internship but I'm only 13".
But then again maybe that's why Parsons has so many famous alumni and the LA whatever school doesn't. hahaha.. Then again so many famous designers dropped out of Parsons and became huge... like Donna Karan for DKNY. lol. 'Biggest failure at Parsons' our dean said.
Anyway I guess what I'm trying to say, in a bigger sense, is that we're all trying to search for this fantasy in our lives. For God designed us to end up in heaven- that fantasmic place we can hardly try to imagine how glorious it'd be yet we'd rather search for it down here. Something we can see, have immediately and be able to escape into and forget everything else. It's everywhere. The reason why guys play video games, buy X Box 360s and become the hero of the hour. The reason why so many girls splurge on a new outfit- to become someone better or different- an escape to a world where she is the definition of beauty. The reason why we watch sports- getting lost in the anticipation, and excitement of a game. The reason why many of us are so driven to become wealthy and/or famous- we get into the ideas of sleek cars, glamorous parties, and couture gowns. The reason why we value business so much (er did you see how big DECA was this year at uhs? It was the hugest club out of our entire school). The reason why fashion ads are peppered with impossibly skinny models in some surreal graphic setting (the exaggeration of an idea as Parsons grad, Behnaz Sarafpour, put it. Now why exaggerate an idea? There are very few ads out there that actually realistically portray life as we know it). The reason why MTV plays 'Sweet Sixteen' or 'The Hills' or '8th and Ocean' or we have 'American Idol', and 'America's Next Top Model'. And all in the name of a fantastic dream of fulfilling our greatest desires: to find that bridge where fantasy meets reality where we find complete and utter happiness and contentment.
Fantasy is reality. Many of us just don't see it. Many of us will never find it. Fantasy met reality when Jesus met the tree (sorry I don't want to use cliches as true as they may be).
I just finished watching 'The Hills' on MTV. For all you Canadians out there (haha. My roomie and I are MTV junkies- well I don't watch it anymore. It's only fun with someone who you can commentate with) 'The Hills' is basically your reality tv version of the OC where cameras follow a girl called Lauren also known as 'LC'.. and we get to see what she does every day (oh did I mention she's also very rich and has very rich friends and they do nothing except sunbathe and live on Laguna Beach? That was the name of the prequel: Laguna Beach now playing on MTV Canada at a tv near you. 'The Hills' is the sequel). Anyway, in the sequel, we get to see her go to university (LA school of fashion and merchandise- some nobody school..hehehe... ) and so far she has got this huge duplex apartment complete with a winding staircase and a pool (duh). She also gets an internship at Teen Vogue and what does she do?? She goes to celebrity/promotion parties and takes photos of the models for future fashion shows and attends the shows... what is this??
But perhaps you don't know why I'm throwing such a hissy fit. It's actually because this so-called reality show was literally created by someone. She's breezing through life with her money and MTV fame. Look, I go to Parsons School of design and stay at home doing work every night while I see working on her suntan by the pool (where is her picnic basket?? I wonder if she can make a paper shoe that can withstand her weight without using tape or glue.. hahaha). And as far as internships are concerned, I have friends who worked at Ralph Lauren and did nothing but dumb presentation boards with fabric swatches and tedious crap that no one wants to do or run errands around the city for a couture designer. Geez. That's partially why I didn't want an internship this year: I don't want to be doing useless things like fetching coffee or finding the right colour match for the fabric. You dont go to shows and do all the fancy glitzy stuff they had her do. Yet little girls buy it up and say "I want a Teen vogue internship but I'm only 13".
But then again maybe that's why Parsons has so many famous alumni and the LA whatever school doesn't. hahaha.. Then again so many famous designers dropped out of Parsons and became huge... like Donna Karan for DKNY. lol. 'Biggest failure at Parsons' our dean said.
Anyway I guess what I'm trying to say, in a bigger sense, is that we're all trying to search for this fantasy in our lives. For God designed us to end up in heaven- that fantasmic place we can hardly try to imagine how glorious it'd be yet we'd rather search for it down here. Something we can see, have immediately and be able to escape into and forget everything else. It's everywhere. The reason why guys play video games, buy X Box 360s and become the hero of the hour. The reason why so many girls splurge on a new outfit- to become someone better or different- an escape to a world where she is the definition of beauty. The reason why we watch sports- getting lost in the anticipation, and excitement of a game. The reason why many of us are so driven to become wealthy and/or famous- we get into the ideas of sleek cars, glamorous parties, and couture gowns. The reason why we value business so much (er did you see how big DECA was this year at uhs? It was the hugest club out of our entire school). The reason why fashion ads are peppered with impossibly skinny models in some surreal graphic setting (the exaggeration of an idea as Parsons grad, Behnaz Sarafpour, put it. Now why exaggerate an idea? There are very few ads out there that actually realistically portray life as we know it). The reason why MTV plays 'Sweet Sixteen' or 'The Hills' or '8th and Ocean' or we have 'American Idol', and 'America's Next Top Model'. And all in the name of a fantastic dream of fulfilling our greatest desires: to find that bridge where fantasy meets reality where we find complete and utter happiness and contentment.
Fantasy is reality. Many of us just don't see it. Many of us will never find it. Fantasy met reality when Jesus met the tree (sorry I don't want to use cliches as true as they may be).



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home