Thoughts.
There are many good fathers in this world. How can you tell? They are the ones who when are gone, the home falls apart. Those who constantly search for you when you are lost and alone. Who loves you even before you were even born. But the best thing about being a father is that he can reassure her that she is a good mother.
I paraphrased from one of the Desperate Housewives episodes- yeah I'm on a binge as you can see; some sort of marathon. It was a very sweet ending. There was one line narrated at the end where Bree's funeral for her husband takes place: "One thing that humans were not designed for is loneliness." It reminds me of a certain book. Amen.
It's funny to see how people respond to different situations.
Two weeks ago my roomie wanted to make a tiramisu for a visiting friend (who never came) so we went out to get ingredients at 9pm at night. It rained and we were walking back to our apartment when a taxi was coming our way.
And for a second, I knew what was going to happen.
And we both got splashed and soaking wet from a nearby puddle.
My first reaction was of shock and then amusement because I just thought it was such a comical thing to happen only in comedy films and comics. My roomie on the other hand took it differently and started screaming- startling a woman and her baby in a stroller- and kept repeating the F-word and how her hair was messed and how terrible she looked. I had to remind her we were going back home and it was only me who was going to see her for the rest of the night.
It's funny how ironic life can be- even to the smallest of things. After class today I went to deposit a rebate check from Epson and bought cereal on sale and decided, since I haven't bought anything the past several weeks, got a dress for $25.
Tonight my roomie, who has not done laundry since returning to NY, decided to go downstairs to clean all her dirty clothes especially her precious load of dresses which included her prom dress (can be worn casual) and a slew of other summer ones. When she came upstairs from the dryer, her entire load of clothes had shrunk so that her knee socks fit her ankles.
And that scream of hers- she went inside the bathroom and started yelling at her mom in Korean about her clothes and I could hear her crying hysterically for about 40 minutes.
I find it hard to be sympathetic at times and even harder to console people (depending on situation that is). I understand that having some of her clothes shrink so that they don't fit correctly can be 'devastating' if it has sentimental attachments to it. But in the end, they're just clothes. So I sat there watching Desperate Housewives and tried to place myself in her shoes (which would have killed me since all she wears are three inch heels) trying to think of some article of clothing that I would have a cry fest over if it shrunk. Haha. And I really cannot think of anything beucase all those that I would cry over are all dry clean. :P
See I would be devastated if I ruined my grandmother's wedding shirt (I already did mess it up a little) or this one particular coat.
But I did feel bad for her and it occured to me perhaps I should return the dress I bought today and got a gift card and gave it to her tomorrow. Now wouldn't that be a nice gesture.
Except she just told me her mom said she could buy new clothes so I really don't need to, and I'm not afraid to admit I have my own selfish purposes. :P This was my reward for surviving the horrors of my midterm week (which still apparently have not ended due to a new paper I have to write on Foucault).
Although I don't believe in 'relativity', I sometimes really do feel like the more masculine persona in this friendship/roomie relationship of ours. She wakes at 8am to get ready for a 9pm class (takes us five minutes to get to class) and I wake at 8:25 and manage to still eat breakfast. I'm very low maintenance compared to her- she always wears a tightly drawn corset to give her that little indent at the waist so she has to lace herself up in the morning, straightens her bangs with a hair straightener, applies on a ton of makeup and dons her outfit that she chooses the night before. She told me that her mom asked her why she was so worked up over her shrunken clothing and my roomie replied that all she loved to do every day was to dress up pretty.
And that's why I'm so worried about being suckered back into that life. So far I've been coping well by constantly having to reassure myself that these things will pass. Cliche as it sounds, I tell myself that the tangible can't fulfill me. Funny to say, I know it's true but I still have to learn.
What does 'parenthetical clause' mean and who uses that in an email? Should I even bother looking it up.
I paraphrased from one of the Desperate Housewives episodes- yeah I'm on a binge as you can see; some sort of marathon. It was a very sweet ending. There was one line narrated at the end where Bree's funeral for her husband takes place: "One thing that humans were not designed for is loneliness." It reminds me of a certain book. Amen.
It's funny to see how people respond to different situations.
Two weeks ago my roomie wanted to make a tiramisu for a visiting friend (who never came) so we went out to get ingredients at 9pm at night. It rained and we were walking back to our apartment when a taxi was coming our way.
And for a second, I knew what was going to happen.
And we both got splashed and soaking wet from a nearby puddle.
My first reaction was of shock and then amusement because I just thought it was such a comical thing to happen only in comedy films and comics. My roomie on the other hand took it differently and started screaming- startling a woman and her baby in a stroller- and kept repeating the F-word and how her hair was messed and how terrible she looked. I had to remind her we were going back home and it was only me who was going to see her for the rest of the night.
It's funny how ironic life can be- even to the smallest of things. After class today I went to deposit a rebate check from Epson and bought cereal on sale and decided, since I haven't bought anything the past several weeks, got a dress for $25.
Tonight my roomie, who has not done laundry since returning to NY, decided to go downstairs to clean all her dirty clothes especially her precious load of dresses which included her prom dress (can be worn casual) and a slew of other summer ones. When she came upstairs from the dryer, her entire load of clothes had shrunk so that her knee socks fit her ankles.
And that scream of hers- she went inside the bathroom and started yelling at her mom in Korean about her clothes and I could hear her crying hysterically for about 40 minutes.
I find it hard to be sympathetic at times and even harder to console people (depending on situation that is). I understand that having some of her clothes shrink so that they don't fit correctly can be 'devastating' if it has sentimental attachments to it. But in the end, they're just clothes. So I sat there watching Desperate Housewives and tried to place myself in her shoes (which would have killed me since all she wears are three inch heels) trying to think of some article of clothing that I would have a cry fest over if it shrunk. Haha. And I really cannot think of anything beucase all those that I would cry over are all dry clean. :P
See I would be devastated if I ruined my grandmother's wedding shirt (I already did mess it up a little) or this one particular coat.
But I did feel bad for her and it occured to me perhaps I should return the dress I bought today and got a gift card and gave it to her tomorrow. Now wouldn't that be a nice gesture.
Except she just told me her mom said she could buy new clothes so I really don't need to, and I'm not afraid to admit I have my own selfish purposes. :P This was my reward for surviving the horrors of my midterm week (which still apparently have not ended due to a new paper I have to write on Foucault).
Although I don't believe in 'relativity', I sometimes really do feel like the more masculine persona in this friendship/roomie relationship of ours. She wakes at 8am to get ready for a 9pm class (takes us five minutes to get to class) and I wake at 8:25 and manage to still eat breakfast. I'm very low maintenance compared to her- she always wears a tightly drawn corset to give her that little indent at the waist so she has to lace herself up in the morning, straightens her bangs with a hair straightener, applies on a ton of makeup and dons her outfit that she chooses the night before. She told me that her mom asked her why she was so worked up over her shrunken clothing and my roomie replied that all she loved to do every day was to dress up pretty.
And that's why I'm so worried about being suckered back into that life. So far I've been coping well by constantly having to reassure myself that these things will pass. Cliche as it sounds, I tell myself that the tangible can't fulfill me. Funny to say, I know it's true but I still have to learn.
What does 'parenthetical clause' mean and who uses that in an email? Should I even bother looking it up.



2 Comments:
Hey sam,
Remember that one time when one of your shirts got messed up in the laundry? I don't remember what it looked like but it had like certain folds or something that got all messed up and you were sad for days :P
hahaha.
Actually, I think i'd be pretty upset too if all my clothes shrunk. Moreso because I would be far too lazy and cheap to buy new ones lol.
But I couldn't wear that one anymore because the sleeves had warped! She can still restretch them but my shrug was distorted and I couldn't fix it. PLUS I did not scream and cry. I mourned. HAHA. jk.
Post a Comment
<< Home