Boys of Summer
Loitering around the dessert section of the buffet at the Intercontinental. Sadly there were no L-like figures to make friends with.
I've always loved this song. Makes me feel nostalgic. Images of sunsets, car rides and lying in fields of hay come to mind when I listen to it. But this summer is indeed full of boys. From a distance anyway. lol.
Robyn went back west today.
Batman was FRIGGIN AMAZING. 8.8/10 stars.
People say that they've seen this kind of template plot before but I argue that it was done well in a way that both expressed the complexity of what is right and what is wrong and discerning evil from good. The reason why Batman is so successful, from my own opinion, is because its villain has an equally complex character as the protagonist. Where most movies fail is where they often spend too much time stressing on the importance of the hero while the villain is just given a varnish of 'evilness' and the audience is made to assume that he's bad because you have to entertain people for two hours. Kinda like Ironman: I didn't think it was amazing but it was some solid entertainment. However it did lack the character depth that Batman was able to deliver. This was one movie where I was able to relate more with the villain, the Joker, than with the hero of the story.
Yeah, I usually don't like superhero movies but even I was deeply impressed by Batman. There was a lot of 'what would you do?' scenes: perhaps they were predictabe but nevertheless it makes one question what one would do in their stead.
Man, if there's one thing I appreciate about American culture, it is in there ability to make decent movies and tv series. After watching a lot of bad acting, poorly written scripts and ugly lighting, Asian dramas seem like child's play compared to American ones. Canto tv sucks. It's at times like these, getting out of the movie theater at Elements, when I'm proud that I can speak fluent English.
An aunt was speaking to me in canto yesterday and I repeated something she said as a question. She says "do you not understand my cantonese???"
I was a little dumbfounded because if there's one thing I do know, is that I can understand pretty well within conversations. TV news takes me a little longer but I could still guess at what the news anchors are getting to. I often repeat things as a question form when I want clarification or if I want the person to continue on with what they are saying.
But then it happened again. After Batman, we were hanging out at my cousin's place and the girl next to me was laughing about something on the news. I watched the clip but it took me a little longer to fully digest what they were talking about (the new coke can yields less coke than the original). The girl next to me asks me if I understood what they were talking about(I was in the stage of trying to understand it fully before saying 'yes') and then asks me if my cousin's canto was better than mine.
It's at times like these I just want to ask what kind of retarded question is that?
I said "my cousin is better" because what else am I supposed to say? I don't want to have to prove anything to anyone.
When I meet people with parents who are not of the same race, I'm instantly attracted to them. The clashing of cultures and the sense of belonging here nor there reminds me of me. Purists, those of one race (I also lump in people who have lived in one place their entire life), are getting to me because of their illegitimate snobbery, narrowmindedness and inability to think broadly. Third culture kids and mixed race kids tend to be more open to new ideas and thoughts, more respectful of other people and have a broader worldview.
Anyway, I'm taking Mandarin next semester. I am so glad I chose Putonghua over any other language for very stupid reasons.
-----------------------------------
Conversation with Robyn and Ken talking about Batman and Robin
Laura: hellooooo come back to reality!!!!
Me: Who are you to say that? You work at Disneyland!
-----------------------------------
At Pokka Cafe:
S: The service is pretty good here
R: You mean the good looking service.
XD
If there's any good place to look at a particular type of people (coughanimeguyscough), it's at Izzue the clothing store, Pokka Cafe and King Wah Center.
Today I was at Page One looking for more books to inspire me in our quest to publish by 2010, when I saw this anime looking guy reading manga. I kept looking back to examine his face but for fear of being caught staring, kept my back facing him. It wasn't until his friend came when they both started to walk away. I thought it would be my chance to finally look when he caught he eyeballing and stared straight at me. I felt like I was being electrocuted. That was embarrassing: I have to stop this nasty habit of eye stalking although that's why I bought stalker sunglasses in the first place: to avoid mishaps such as these. XD
Miura Haruma. I confess I like this picture not because of the fashion but for the face:



2 Comments:
yes, the stalker sunglasses do help =p
S: The service is pretty good here
R: Yeah... good looking.
KEKEKEKEKEKEKKEKEKEKEKEKE
Post a Comment
<< Home