Monday, December 25, 2006

Rambling

Its 12:02am.
Oh and there goes another Christmas.
Urbana today.
It's also Boxing Day.
I remember last year I went to Yorkdale and it was insane and stupid and I got nothing out of it except a few dollars poorer from the subway fare. This year I don't plan to venture far. All I want to do is see my beloved Value Village. I love you Value Village. I might as well drop some items off for my mom anyway. Good thing we live so close to it. Haha.
Can you tell I'm extremely bored?
Number of times listened to 'Not To Us' since two weeks of purchase: 88 times.
HAHA.
I've also been catching up on my magazine reading. I read this article in Brio (christian girl magazine) about modern worship vs traditional worship. For some reason the editor talked about how she missed the old hymns because they addressed God directly while modern worship can be seen as a love relationship between a boy and a girl. Lyrics like, "I want to know you... I want to hear Your voice, I want to know You more" can be seen as a romanticized version of traditional hymns.
The article didnt jive with me. I expected to read an article on genuine worship (which was the title) and I got this article on personal tastes of worship music. I personally do not think about boys when I'm worshipping and those songs we sing don't arouse any desire for a relationship either. I've known of people who do mistaken those songs to be of human to human relationships, yet it doesn't really happen with me. Maybe it's because I just can't imagine myself singing that to some guy. HAHA. Whatever.
So I read my fair share of fashion magazines and this is what I got out of them,

"Fashion has a future. It's about re-interpretation and re-education, re-evaluation and relating a message. Individuality is born out of struggle and that is something young designers know something about." -Antonio Berardi

".. it is always in the great moments when everything changes that fashions are important, because they make something go up in the air or go down or go around that has nothing to do with anything." -Gertrude Stein from Paris France

Overall the three fashion magazines I read were less than brilliant. I remember a time when I found them extremely creative... what happened? You remember those moments: when you see a creative photoshoot or a stunning avant garde piece. Oh you remember it. There was one photoshoot done by a nude model who posed behind a wall of glass. An artist came in and spray painted replicas of dresses according to the pose of the model. It was really cool.

When Pastor Francis asked all the Urbana participants to come to the front so that he could pray for them, he told the congregation that they were looking at their future doctors, nurses, missionaries, sunday school teachers.... and I was just waiting for something that would address a part of me. I guess teachers, doctors and nurses sound the most altruistic because they deal with direct human touch and care.
I think we (as in those who care even if it is a little) all have this love-hate relationship with fashion because it includes everyone and excludes no one. Because fashion affects and shapes everything, no one is to say that you are not right to dress in a certain way. Yet it excludes everyone save a few which is dictated by current trends. Okay I have no idea what point I'm driving. Something I just thought of a few days ago. In the hierarchy of design, architecture is viewed at the top and fashion the scum of it. Buildings lasts for many years while clothes are discarded over a four month period. No this is not my personal opinion: it is widely known among designers that this hierarchy exists. Our fashion director and mini celebrity, Tim Gunn, of Parsons initially was an architect and mentioned how his colleagues looked down upon the garment industry. Okay I'm rambling.

For the record, Santa Claus got me another illustrated version of Beauty and the Beast and it's soooo pretty. I love the illustrations. I also received a pair of stainless steel earrings created by two Australian industrial designers who were inspired by Japanese origami and Danish paper designs. Very cool. I love love love reading about where designers get their inspiration from: to see a hybridization of skills, forms and creativity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home