Sunday, September 17, 2006

Faceless Blogger

Gong Li is so sexy.
I'm watching Memoirs of a Geisha for 'inspiration' on my garment project (yeah right, it's more like I don't want to think). And I love this movie because it's so detail oriented in terms of set, prop and costume production- I keep stopping it every few seconds to examine the obi cloth to the hair pins to the food on the table. It's total eye candy.




My favourite Korean actress: Song Hye Gyo (actually the only actress I know). She starred in the Korean drama along with this guy. She's really pretty.


I read something interesting within the same article I wrote about yesterday: the man aims to cover all of his self in a suit which then only reveals so much his head which represents the intellect and the mind. Everything on the man is vertical, say the tie for example, points and leads to the head. For man, intellect is key and not his physique.
For women, everything is horizontal emphasizing the bust and the waist- symbols of fertility and feminity. Women, unlike men, reveal certain portions of skin to highlight their beauty and not their intellect.


I've been having nightmares for the past few days of the same kind of fear.


I'm happy.. so far I like my church- I met a lot of people today and they were all really open and friendly. This 24 year old guy comes up to us and asks us how old we are and is surprised that we're so young. He then proceeds to ask us if we ever heard of the VHS tape and the VCR before and if they were around when we were young. LOL. We told him we're not THAT young. So funny. He also asked me and Robbie if we said 'eh' after every sentence.
I was with another group of people- this time with uni grads who just started working and this guy asks us where we were at. When I told him I was a sophomore, he gives me this surprised look because he thought I was much older.
Yeah I also found another freshman from Parsons who also went to South Island school in HK which was kind of cool. I went to Island School- an affiliate of SIS.
And there were Chinese people too! Not just koreans!


Someone asked me what ethnicity I was yesterday and I said "chinese" and he said I didn't look Chinese but either Korean or Filipino. I cracked up because I don't look like the latter at all. He must have been drunk.


As I was making those collages yesterday I thought of putting a picture of myself or myself with friends after seeing other blogs in which people would post dozens of pictures of them and their friends. But I've always had this fear of strangers reading this blog who I don't know; my thoughts are very much of who I am and I've chosen to reveal probably more than most people usually do.. and just the thought of connecting these entries with a face- giving the writer (in this case, myself) an identity would just be way too close for comfort. I feel without a picture- that sense of a veil remains in tact- this disconnection between writer and audience still exists. It's my way of not revealing all as an art nerd who finds images a very powerful medium. Of course that may all change, you never know. I only dare to post pictures of friends and family right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home